The Planted Tank Forum banner

Apistogramma cacatuoides in NJ?

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  OhNo123 
#1 ·
Where can I buy a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides?

#3 ·
I bought a pair of apisto labelled "macmasteri double red" from absolutely fish about 6 months ago. With some research based on their markings I found out they are likely a mix of macmasteri and viejita.

Regardless they are very healthy, colorful and have done really well. I have 9 juvie offspring from them that are an 1-2 inches and growing. Every time I visit the store they have cacatuoides but it's nice to see they carry some other species. They only sell pairs, and they usually run $50. I'm glad I spent the money on a pair, everywhere I see apisto they only sell the males being that they are more colorful.

#4 ·
+1 I was just there yesterday, and they had at least 4 maybe five diff. species all pairs, and yes the prices are steep. Nothing there is cheap, but you have to hand it to them; the place is always immaculate.

#6 ·
Ely's in Florum Park if your close to 287 had a bunch of different species reds, dbl reds, orange, macmasteri (although I think they are viejita) all are sold as pairs for around $40 ($39.99). They had about 12 pairs on Thurs. when I stopped by. I bought my borelli there and they are doing great breeding but just not caring for the eggs hoping it's inexperience.

I've been trying to find hongsloi and viejita red necks if you happen to stumble upon them let me know. I have a male hongsloi and a female viejita that I'd like to pair up again.

@Fiftymeatballs - My understanding is a viejita will cross with a macmasteri so let me know if and when you may sell?

#15 ·
I'm in jersey and couldn't find anything that had nice colors so I ordered from http://www.cichlids.net/. It's Atlantis Fish Hatchery. I got a pair that are gorgeous (triple reds) and they spawn like crazy. I haven't tried to keep any babies and they have all been eaten so far though.

I'd recommend ordering from there though, much lower prices. I think I paid like $40 shipped for the pair or so.

#20 ·
Not recently, and when I do see them they’re expensive and/or sold out. I buy them online, Paul’s Planted Aquariums on YouTube is where I bought last, but he only had males then. Check him out or look on Aquabid would be my advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.