The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fish Town USA in Ramsey

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Bobbybills 
#1 ·
Made a run today to Fish Town in Ramsey, which I first went to as a kid living in Emerson in the early 70's. Got some plants and a few fish so did my son. The owner is knowledgeable, like most LFS owners, and takes pride in his selection of plants and fish.

Worth the hour trip.

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion in this and other threads. Stopped by there yesterday on my way back from NYC. What a great selection of plants, although the one I wanted was not for sale, that dark purple sword. Fish and shrimp all looked good, healthy. Didnt get lucky and find something I wanted to take home, but it seemed like the potential was there. If I needed to fill an aquarium, I would have had many options.

Was listening to the staff talk to a knowledged keeper and a newb, and was happy with what I heard.

Despite getting skunked, I felt it was a good trip to a rarity these days, a good LFS. If I lived local, I'd be stopping there regularly. You North Jerseyians are lucky!

#12 ·
Evan is a good guy to deal with. I've pretty much come to the point where Fishtown is the only LFS I deal with anymore. There isn't anything else around that has the same quality of livestock, quantity of plants and reasonable prices.

Tommy

#13 ·
I'm a noob when it comes to fish specific pet stores, I was doing all my fish related shopping at Petco and the such. Not saying there's anything wrong with that. They do come in handy in a pinch. Went to FT USA for the first time last week friday... Awesome place. He has pretty much everything I need. left with a couple of nets, some Excel, root tabs, and a Java fern. They will be my go to LFS from now on, unless I need some hard scape material... Fish Hut in Saddle Brook has a better selection from what I've seen.

#14 ·
For plants, both Fish Town and Absolutely Fish have the best selection for sure. For fish, Eli's in Florham Park has the largest selection of planted tank compatible fish including nano tank stock. Absolutely Fish would be a close second. Fish Hut has an unbelievable selection of Cichlids but not for planted tanks. Just my experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.