The Planted Tank Forum banner

Speak up Nebraska

9K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  fusedpro 
#1 ·
It's just been a long time since anyone had posted in the Nebraska section of these forums. Thought I'd drop a line and say Hi.

#7 ·
Another Nebraskan here. Started my first planted tank a little over a month ago. I've got a lot to learn, but it's been fun. Uploaded a profile today, check it out. Some plants growing like crazy, some not so much, LOL.

#14 ·
Hi from Omaha...Good to see some Nebraskans on here. I am new to the planted side of fishkeeping. Since you are from NE you will know what I mean when I say the water is hard and alkaline. This discouraged me from doing a planted tank at all. I want to set up a planted 20 gallon regular. Any advice for the beginner regarding lights and CO2? There is so much out there info wise and differing opinions and techniques. I need a Nebraska Planted Tank for Dummies tutor.

#15 ·
Don't be too discouraged by our hard, alkaline tap water, robinss. When I was using 100% tap water, my plants did fabulously. (Then I made the mistake of adding a water softener charged with KCl to my house... :( Tank hasn't been the same since.)

As for lights and CO2, you'll have to do some experimentation to find out what works best for you. I find a low-light, no CO2 approach is best for my tank. I'm currently using an old CoraLife 36" CF fixture over my tank, with a 10,000K bulb, but am considering switching over to LED lighting eventually.

#16 ·
thanks

Thanks Artemas...I read once that the plants couldn't take the hardness. I am thinking I might buy LED...but the lighting talk is too much for me...

I am surprised at how few LFS are mentioned here in Omaha. We used to have more. Big box stores must be pushing them out.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks Artemas...I read once that the plants couldn't take the hardness.
Naturally hard, alkaline water occurs in some lakes and streams, and plants grow in it. Plants, like fish, have evolved to fit nearly every niche. The trick is to find the plants that like your local water conditions.

Back when I was using 100% unsoftened tap water, I had great success with Amazon swords. Anubias species, Vallisneria, some Cryptocoryne species, Java moss, Java fern, many stem plants (especially water sprite), hornwort, frogbit, and (of course) duckweed. About the only thing I couldn't get to grow was Sagittara species. So don't worry, you'll have a lot of choices!

I am surprised at how few LFS are mentioned here in Omaha. We used to have more. Big box stores must be pushing them out.
I'm afraid that's exactly what's happening - and all over the country, not just here in Omaha. Local fish stores have small margins, and the big box places pull too much needed business away.

#17 ·
Welcome to TPT. There's a few Nebraskans on here but there's just not much for planted tank hobbyists to choose from in the LFS so this is where I get 99%!of my plants from. There use to be quite a few decent stores in the Omaha area but just like everywhere else the big box stores are pushing the out. If your old enough you might remember a store called The Fish Bowl that was in Omaha but that was many moons ago. If you haven't heard of it then that just shows how old I am. As for the hard water, that's not that big of an issue. You will be able to keep most of the plants except for a few that like lower kH. I solved that by switching to Aquasoil. Again welcome to the forum and its nice to see more fellow Nebraskans involved in this side of the hobby.

#20 ·
Omaha

Hi Im currently living right outside of Omaha, and am a planted tank enthuasist. I currently have 30+ species in my high tech 40 breeder. Would like to find some others to trade plants with. I also keep shrimp as well and am always looking for new stock. There is a new store in bellevue that just opened. The owners are awesome people and or stocking alot of planted tank supplies. They will also order just about anything you want. Fin-tastic fish is the name.

#24 ·
Reviving a dead thread, Bellevue calling in here. I browse this forum quite often but usually posted on another very popular forum, until now. I have my doubts that name-and-shame is allowed here, so I won't name them. Their moderators allow poor advice and reprimand those who are honest and correct those bad posts (I did so respectfuly, of course), and so I've found myself here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.