The Planted Tank Forum banner

List of local Fish stores in the STL.

18K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  thedood 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to create a list of all the stores in st louis and metro east that are with in a decent driving distance for most of us.

Aqua World-South city
3910 Gravois
St. Louis, MO
(314) 772-0100

Aqua-World - West County
16063 Manchester
Ellisville, MO
(636) 391-0100

Beldts-
7025F Howdershell Rd
Hazelwood, MO 63042
(314) 895-3350

Nemos Pets-
3780 Pontoon Rd
Granite City, IL 62040
(618) 931-7524

Tropical World Pets-

8444 Watson Rd,
Webster Groves, MO
(314) 849-4020

Pet Market Place-

8011 Watson Road,
Saint Louis, MO 63119
(314) 962-2257

See less See more
#5 ·
What about the following?

Pet Market Place
8011 Watson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63119
(314) 962-2257

They were pretty good from what I could tell from my several visits there.

#7 ·
I was just gonna say Pet market Place. I'm working there part time now, used to work there 5 years ago. Best selection of freshwater fish, BEST prices too. I also go over the orders, including the plant orders too. Let me know if you need something.

#8 ·
In addition to the ones mentioned, might I add Malawi Aquatics. Not sure about their plant selection but if you looking for African cichlids, Billy's is the place to go!! Quite an impressive set-up!! Personally, TWP and Pet Market Place are my two favorites, though for a city of this size, the lfs selection is quite poor!!

#9 ·
TWP will order you fish from time to time and they seem to take the best care of them aswell. I have purchased many fish from them. Actually this is where I aquired my first L183. I went back to them before I bought my newest ones but they said there was no way they could get them now.

The pet market place has some harder to find fish from time to time and I like their cory selection.

#13 ·
About Fish Stores in & around st. louis

Just wanted to let you all know, that Beldts fish store listed on Howdershell, is no longer there. It's a shame to. That used to be the best fish store around for anything aquatic, not just fish. I haven't been able to find anything else, other than Walmart or pet smart, for any aquatic pets or supply. Let me know if you find something. Thanks

#14 ·
Awesome thanks goalie, I guess you know how hard it is to Google good fish stores. Every time I do it seems they are shut down, that Hazelwood one is what I'm checking tomorrow. THANKS

Bump: Well apparently it's closed ��

#15 ·
The two Aqua Worlds and the Tropical World Pets were all open when I shopped at them last fall. I haven't been to any of the three recently but Aqua World on Gravois had a bunch of different plants and so did the Tropical World Pets on Watson. Aqua World has them placed in their tanks and they might not all be labeled. Depending on who is working, they may or may not be able to tell you the name and light requirements. Tropical World has several tanks in one area that are plant-only tanks and everything is very well labeled.
I would definitely call first to make sure they are open when you plan on going out there. I think Aqua World is closed on Sundays - at least they used to be.
If you really want to get a bunch of plants, look up the Missouri Aquarium Society auction coming up next weekend at the Crowne Plaza Hotel near the airport. If you've never been to one of their auctions you should definitely go! Lots of plants, fish, supplies. You never know what will show up. I think it is on Sunday. It can last several hours but it is immensely entertaining and you might meet some of the local plant/fish experts.

#18 ·
Aqua World in Ellisville is the closest fish to to me and gets the bulk of my business. $Pricey$ but they have a good selection of freshwater fish and the best selection of live plants I've found. I drove to Tropical World recently, kind of a haul but worth the drive. Large selection of fish and hard goods, didn't notice any live plants since I wasn't plant shopping. I grew up in Hazelwood and spent a lot of time and money at the original Beldt's aquarium. I know a little Beldt's aquarium history if anyone is interested, much of this is from my memory which is known to be faulty.

Beldt's was founded by Otto Beldt, a German who immigrated to the US in 1913. The location off Howdershell road opened in 1926. At its peak it consisted of 10 building and greenhouses with over 30,000 fish in 2,000+ plus aquariums and 75 - 80 concrete pools. Beldt's most prominent feature was the the large smokestack on one of the buildings that had Beldt's spelled out in big white letters, a local landmark visible from Howdershell Rd. Otto Beldt sold the business in the 1960's, I don' recall the exact year. The City of Hazelwood bought the property in 2009 and tore down all the buildings except for the smokestack. The property was used to expand Truman Park. The smokestack, the last remaining remnant of the original Beldt's location, was demolished in April 2014. Beldt's was the oldest and largest tropical fish hatchery north of Florida from 1926 to the early 2000's. Beldt's was also famous for the color catalogs that were circulated worldwide (see pics below), you can still find them for sale on E-bay. Primarily a wholesale fish hatchery business they also had a retail operation open to the public. As a kid I remember spending hours walking around in the huge, humid fish house intrigued by all the different fish and plant species. The strip mall location that opened after the original closed down never really gained any traction and changed ownership several times. One other little tidbit, Mike Mansfield, the last owner of Beldt's, was murdered Aug 2012 when someone set fire to his apartment building in Hazelwood. His killer was sentenced last month (Sep 2015) to 21 years in prison. Beldt's is gone but will never be forgotten.

YT I found of smokestack being prepped for demolition.

Beldt's Smokestack being prepped for demolition.

#19 ·
Cool information. Not being an original St. Louis guy that story is completely new to me.

I agree I like the Aqua Worlds, great fish but they are pricey. Very nice if you are wanting to buy a nice centerpiece fish just hard to stock large schools when they are asking the prices for the small schooling fish they do.

#22 ·
I posted in another thread, but there is a primarily saltwater store, but also doing a fair amount of freshwater in St. Charles called coralsnmore

It's a fantastic looking place, rather simplistic, but it has individual filters on all it's tanks. Runs some awesome specials and has knowledgeable staff. They also try to stock less of the what every other fish store sells. Meaning you won't be finding a lot of Guppies, Platies, Danios and the like.

Already love the place and only been one.

#23 ·
Midwest Tropical Fish in Jerseyville Il. Great place, wish it was an hour closer to me. Quality fish.

#25 ·
They have a lot of cichlids and other fish, some plants. I bought one of my anubias there. They may not have as large a stock as some other places but its a decent stock and they take good care. Ive been there multiple times and never found a floater in their tanks and never lost a fish I bought from them. Worth the trip once anyway to check them out if you live in the stl area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.