The Planted Tank Forum banner

Best fish stores in TC area?

6K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Longshot 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread seems too quiet...

What are the better fish stores in the area? I am SE of the cities and have been going to World of Fish, Something Fishy, and Aqualand in the Richfield area. Havent bought anything, though, as I am still planning and setting up.

What places are best for prices? Especially for plants.

#2 ·
Well for some of the more common plants such as Java fern, Hornwort and such you might just want to go to Petsmart or Petco. They're about 3.00 dollars there. For the more uncommon stuff I say World of fish. As for fishes it depends on what you want. Aqualand tends to have cheaper fish; World of fish more variety, but a little more expensive. You also might want to try out Petland and Twin city reptiles.

As for the best fish store in Twincity, I thnk World of fish tends to be it since the have a wide variety of fish and plants. If your looking to save money its better to shop around and check out the chains stores.

#4 ·
I would give Forest Lake Pets a try great selection,they are very helpful and are competively priced. If it is plants you are looking for go to World of Fish, they tend to be on the expensive side. Common aquarium supplies go to Petsmart or Petco. A good source online is Dr Foster & Smith.

#5 ·
I'm in the NE suburbs and I tried 2 Petco's and 2 Petsmart's around me and they have some of the bare essentials but not really the stuff I was looking for (Driftwood, Flourite, a wide plant selection). The first place I went was Forest Lake Pet, they have a ton of aquariums and some good looking stuff. Some stuff was picked over and some was over priced, but they get a lot of business so they must be doing something right! Sounds like they have a lot of rare species and native ones too.

#6 ·
I'm not a fan of something fishy, The world of fish is a good source for plants but they tend to be expensive, fish selection is good but also expensive. Take the drive to Forest Lake pets it's well worth the drive great selection of fish and they have been stocking alot more plants lately. What type of set up are you looking at. Forest Lake pets has good prices on aquariums.

#14 ·
I gotta give props to Sea Level, I had never heard of them before but I was actually pointed in their direction by a smaller shop. The store doesn't look like much but their prices are perfect (50% of World of Fish) and they carry bulk substrate. I got 200# of 1/16 - 1/8 river rock for $50.00 at World of Fish I would have got less than 50# for that money. Mag Drive 9.5 for $80.00 World of Fish is $225.00, Driftwood for 1/3 or less of WOF. They don't have everything but what they do have they treat you right on.

#16 ·
I want to put my A+ rating in for Forest Lake Pets and for Terre Quatics. I visited both of these shops for the first time this last week and I really enjoyed both stores! Theresa at Terre Quatics was very helpful and she had what I consider to be the perfect trait for a sales person: she seemed to sense when I wanted to talk and ask questions about something versus when I just wanted to explore her store a little more on my own. Her prices were fair and she was very kind to my son who was with me that day. My son is 13 and is severely autistic, but he is verbal and loves to ask people questions about his favorite topics. He is fascinated with any and all things related to pets, but he is especially fascinated with aquariums (he has 3 of his own tanks in his room, including his own nanoreef tank). Theresa spent time answering many of his questions. She then very kindly hooked him up with some inexpensive, used supplies so that he could set up a tadpole tank (he had gotten his hands on 2 bullfrog tabpoles, don't ask...:icon_roll). Zack was thrilled and Theresa's kindness earned her a place in my heart and a customer in me for life that day. :)

Several days later I made the trek up to Forest Lake Pets on my own while Zack was in school. I was very impressed with the sheer variety of merchandise they had on hand. Their tanks were well kept and their stock looked healthy. I felt like a kid in a candy store! They had a whole line of tank starter kits that had LED fixtures in the hoods. They were so pretty! The light from the hoods just seemed to sparkle. I had to have one! But if I came home with a new tank for me, my hubby would probably divorce me. So I did the next best thing, I bought my son a new tank! I got him a 10 gallon kit with the LED lights and I want to say it was under $50. Zack was thrilled and it made me pretty happy too, I must say. :)

Both stores were terriffic, and we will be visiting them quite regularly I am sure.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm going to have to put in another plug for Forest Lake Pets... Simply IMO one of the better if not best aquarium stores in the state. Their selection of f/w fish was amazing. I've never seen so many types of different plecos in one place before. I made quite the haul when I was there buying everything from a few bushynose albinos to killifish (and I had at least 4 species to chose from of killifish) They even did have an alright plant selection in the back. They had all the seachem plant ferts including the the Aqua-Vitro line. The guys working there were very helpful (was the owners sons) Also much more reasonable than WOF as far as pricing goes. If you live in the TC area take the time to drive up to Forest Lake and check them out. I live in Rochester and it was worth the drive for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.