The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does anyone have any Marsilea?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ajmckay 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm just beginning the planted hobby... I recently set up a 20L with some black neon tetras and a German Blue Ram.

I'm looking for a nice, simple, and slower growing foreground plant. It seems HC & Glosso would be a bit much as I'm not planning on dosing co2 (at least initially). I may dose some macros though following the EI method.

I'm thinking that Marsilea Minuta would be a good place to start but I haven't seen any at the local stores and while I'm not averse to mail order, I much prefer local.

Does anyone have any Marsilea Minuta or a similar dwarf clover that I could buy? I'm not in a huge hurry. I have a coralife dual bulb t5 fixture eventually to be replaced by an LED fixture.

#3 ·
Looks like it's native to FL/GA area. Most of this genus is native to the southern US. The "Waterclovers". It appears that one species Marsilea quadrifolia is native to Michigan, however, it's more suited to being a background plant as it grows to about 8".

#7 ·
I haven't had luck in finding any locally so far...

I've heard mixed things about the quadrifolia variety... Some says it stays small while others experience a taller plant. Even in the link you posted from aquariumplants.com one reviewer notes that the plant grows to 8" or so. Maybe the different species share such a resemblance it's difficult to know which one you actually have?

Seiu004, Thank you so much for the offer. I'm going to try to find some locally, but at the same time I'll do some research on shipping plants as it may end up not being too expensive. Can I PM you if my local search comes up empty?

Thanks everyone.

#8 ·
k dont know if you found any yet but i was at fish doctors in canton today and they had 3 pots of Marsilea crenata . The pots were in ok shape, they look like they werent getting enough light but not so far gone that they wouldnt bounce back in a better set up. But they wanted $8 per pot. figured i would just toss it out there if you still needed something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.