The Planted Tank Forum banner

Unirdna's 46g Bowfront - Terminated - 03/2004 - 03/2007

85K views 412 replies 96 participants last post by  Steven_Chong 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

First I must say that without this site, I would have had no chance at this project. Many thanks go out to all who have aided me in the past 2 months (you know who you are ;) ). I'll be a 'supporting member' as soon as my bank account recovers :roll: .

Here's the setup. I've also included prices for any other newbies wondering where I got all the gear. I know that many of you veterans don't give two craps about gear (bring on the plants!), but I know the 'new' guys will want to know. I'm sure that some components could have been found/made for less money, but all-in-all I think I did o.k.

Tank - Stand - Glass top = $300 - LFS
Eheim ECCO 2236 (new) = $86 shipped w/media - eBay
JBJ Regulator w/ sol (new) = $90 shipped - eBay
Milwaukee SMS122 (used) = $82 shipped - eBay
CO2 Reactor (DIY) = $0 - leftover stuff
JBJ 192w PC Light = $205 shipped - eBay
Background (Krylon) = $4 - Walmart
Valves, tubing, PVC, etc. = $20 - Home Depot
5 lb CO2 tank (filled) = $47 - Local Welding Supply
Eco-complete (5 bags) = $110 - LFS
Hydor Heater = $46 shipped - eBay

Anyway, enough lamenting about greenbacks.....I've wanted a planted tank since I was 15....this is gonna be great :D!

Here's a few shots of me setting it up tonight. Plants to be intro'd this weekend. I look forward to your comments and recommendations.

Ted

See less See more
#3 ·
*Drooling* I love the equipment :) A very nice setup you have there, particulary the inline heater. Is that a DIY CO2 reactor? I'm guessing so, because although it looks very professional, it doesn't look too mass-produced, if you know what I mean...

--cich

#6 ·
cich,

He says the co2 reactor is made from left over stuff in his discription.

#7 ·
Here are a few lovelies I picked up a few hours ago. Nothing is planted yet because I'm still waiting on my driftwood. I figure there is no harm letting the plants get a jump start before I'm ready to start painting. They have already started bubbling. I don't know if this is O2 created via photosynthesis, or if it's just coming out of solution.....but it's very nice-looking, either way. Question for you plant gurus: my dwarf hairgrass came with some kind of moss lining the top of the plastic pot. It's bubbling like crazy (see photo). Any idea what this is? Any ideas how to make use of it? Any reasons why I shouldn't?

Nitrates and Phosphates are both @ zero. From most of the posts I've read, it is my understanding that you want to start out with stem plants to absorb N and P. Are these nutrients eventually going to show up (for some reason I can't figure out), or does that fact that I used 100% reconstituted RO water make my situation different from the norm?

Not so sure about all the plants....definitely gonna screw up spelling. Feel free to jump in, if I messed up too bad :)

1. Ambulia
2. Ludwegia sp?
3. baby tears (latin?)
4. Cambomba sp?
5. Wisteria sp?
6. Dwarf hairgrass (latin?)
7. Jungle vals (latin?)

Other recommendations? I still have a few ducats left in the coffers.

Ted

#10 ·
Raul-7 said:
Just curious how many inches did the 3 bags of Eco-Complete you?
I'm @ ~ 2.5 inches. I'm thinking of adding one more bag. What's $20 more, once I'm at this stage of the game :)?

....and thanks for the compliments on the tank/gear....but the real test is whether or not I can make it 'work' :twisted: ...hehe

Ted

#11 ·
Looks like you are off to a great start! :D Nice plant selection, should be able to fill some space quickly, before algae becomes a problem.
Not sure what the green stuff is, but my guess is that the Hairgrass was grown emers and some terrestric moss has grown on the pot. Time will tell, maybe you found the perfect Nano-Moss? 8)

#16 ·
Looking good Ted. I have gotten my 46 set up now same amount of lighting but I used Flourate instead.

How do you like the Ecco? I am looking at going with a 2215 classic as soon as I get the cash because my 46 blew a hole in my wallet too. :D

#17 ·
Hi Thooshe,

I'm feelin ya, man. Took me 2 months to get all the knickknacks together ($$$). The eco-complete is fantastic (so far). The size and density is perfect. Easy to push in fragile stems, but it still holds them very well. Also, there is absolutely no dust to worry about. The tanks had a whiteish haze for an hour or so, but it quickly turned clear.

I was torn between the 2215 (classic) and the 2235 (ECCO). Wound up getting the ECCO because the price was very right. I think that the pump rates are similar, but the 2215 has a bit more media area. The current the 2235 has created seems about perfect. I had to cut down the spray bar to make it fit on the side of the tank. Since I cut off 2-3 spray holes, I widened the remaining holes with my dremel (just to make sure I wasn't restricting flow). I aim the spraybar down and towards the glass (for now). The creates a gentle current that sweeps the bottom of the tank.

#18 ·
unirdna said:
Also, the ambulia has shown significant growth in just one day :? . Is this normal (see photo ;) )?
Yep, that's normal. Ambulia is among the fastest growing stem plants. With lots of light and CO2, it will require pruning twice a week or more often. Unless you're okay with it floating along the surface.

It's an ideal plant for a new tank, since it eats up so many nutrients, overwhelming any algae in the process :D

I have started to plant it in little pots, because I got tired of pulling the roots out of the substrate each week (clouding the water). Now I just pull them out of the pot, cut them in half, and stick them back in.

#20 ·
Got it all planted!

Also added a small chunk of microsword and some sag.

In addition to the 2 amanos, I now have 2 SAE's and 4 ottos. After watching my amanos crawl all over the driftwood, I'm now sure that I am going to go 'shrimp crazy' with this tank. I love em! I especially want a couple of those big suckers, with the 'feather' claws. But to keep those would mean that I probably shouldn't ever get a UV sterilizer, since they eat drifting algae. I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of clarity to be able to keep a couple of those :).

#22 ·
So, it's about 10 days now since the first plants went in the tank. And a few days since I've arranged the tank. Nitrates and phosphates have been at 0 ppm since the start. In the last few days I noticed that growth was slowing and a bit of hair algae and bga was starting to grow on the hairgrass. So I've started dosing ferts. Just nitrate and flourish (so far). I added enough KNO3 to bring the tank to 5ppm. I'm scared to add phosphate :oops: , but will bring the tank up a couple tenths ppm in the coming days (so long as the nitrate dosing goes ok). I also plan to dose K for the first time this weekend when I do a water change.

Here's a shot taken right after adding NO3 for the first time. I'm thoroughly documenting this, so you'll all be up to speed if my tank 'explodes'. :)

Ted

#23 ·
Looking good and nice design, will look great once it grows in.

Paul

#24 ·
Finally added some fish that weren't required to do any cleaning. I love the way these guys school. They don't look frightened, just 'clicky'. Like freshman walking to a house party during the first month of college :). This brings my current fish count to:

2 SAE's
4 Ottos
4 Amanos
8 Rasboras

#25 ·
- Updated photo of whole tank.

A little bit of haze in the water column and some staghorn on the hairgrass, but things seem to be balancing out. You can see an Apotomogeton crispus leaf sprouting from near the small piece of wood. That bulb has been buried in my girlfriends 15 gal (presumably dead) for 3 years. It only took 6 hours to 'wake up'. Overall, The tank is taking on a softer look. I like the shadowing created by a bit of the ambulia resting on top.....still, I have to trim it twice a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.