The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - where's everybody?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, nice tank. How many discus are in there? Do you use RO water since our water (in general in WI) is so hard? I built a canopy for my 72bow to put in lots of DIY fluorsecents. Then I upgraded to the Coralife T5's (Normal Output) - 6 bulbs over the tank, so still a decent amount of light.

Regarding testing, well, I'm a chemist so I can do things a little differently. Also, I teach so I have students doing some tap water testing as well. The hard water isn't such a big deal if you let the plants take time to adapt (or collect some locally - if you like vallisneria americana or ceratophyllum demersum, there is plenty in Lake Winnebago). The biggest issue will be if you want the fish to spawn - I've heard soft water fish just don't have the success rate in hard water. That's why I went with the African Mbuna - they are from very hard water environments.

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 2x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2013, red tiger lotus, vals, java fern and moss, crypts, swords, mbuna tank: Yellow labs, Ps. demasoni, clown plecos, SAE's.

10g mini-reef. 16lbs LR, green mushroom, star polyps, wagon wheel polyps, purple mushroom, candycane, hammer, other zoas, CUC.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome