The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 55G Journal (56K Warning) Update: 2/11/2008 - TANK HAS BEEN FILLED
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
PTrader: (12/100%)
55G Journal (56K Warning) Update: 2/11/2008 - TANK HAS BEEN FILLED

Most Recent Tank Shot:

After doing a ton of research on here, I am finally ready to start a real planted tank. While my shrimp tank is nice, it's basically dwarf sag and java moss. A few random plants that have found their way into the tank here and there, but not much of a scape except for a sand foreground. My other tank, a QT tank, is overgrown with HM, and that's basically it.

I'm not sure how my plans would be categorized; in some ways, it kind of looks iwagumi. The foreground and hardscape are kind of amano inspired, but I like the way stem plants look in dutch aquariums, so there will be some of that eventually. Currently, the tank is being grown it emersed a la Tom Barr, and is finally starting to take off. Not all the equipment has been set up yet, but most of it has been purchased.

Tank Specs:
Tank: Standard 55G
Filter: Eheim 2215, possibly with a non functioning ECCO 2236 and a powerhead as a backup
Lighting: 2x55W AH Supply + 2x55W PC salvaged from free discarded hood in a DIY canopy (in progress)
Substrate: SMS Charcoal
CO2: Rex Grigg Regulator w/ solenoid. Still need a CO2 tank (this weekend)
Heater: Hydor 200W (In-line)
I might add a powerhead in there to increase circulation.

Dwarf Hairgrass
Blyxa Aubertii
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala sp. Green
Sunset Hygro
Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata
Heteranthera zosterifolia (still looking for this one, need someone who will ship with heatpacks)

15 Cardinal Tetras
9 Diamond Tetras (4 adults, 2 juvies ~1", 3 juvies ~1/2")
2 Male Apistogramma Cacatuoides 'Double Red' (checking on this one, the admins at say it's ok)
1 Peruvian Altum Angelfish (still thinking about this one)

I may forgo the angelfish and add rummy nose or increase the cardinal numbers.

Here is the emersed grown HC thus far:

Some emersed hairgrass showing new shoots:

My blyxa aubertii is flowering:

As you can see, I have a bit of a duckweed problem in my QT tank. Believe it or not, I cleared all of it off a week and a half ago, and that's the state it's in now. I'll try again after midterms.

Overhead shot of left side of tank:

The hardscape doesn't make much sense at this angle, I will get a frontal shot when I clean the glass and do some more maintenance. Too much work these last 3 weeks. Damn Michigan engineering.

The HC in these pics have already died down, adjusted, and started spreading, so I am hoping that in a couple of weeks, I will have a decent enough carpet to fill the tank.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

Last edited by fishscale; 02-11-2008 at 09:24 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome