The Planted Tank Forum banner

Basically no-light vase idea

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sangckim5 
#1 ·
I got a job at an office 2 months ago. I love it, but my desk needs life. My house is riddled with plants and tanks, and I want something small, low maintenance, but more importantly, something that doesn't rely on too much light.

Through out the day I have to use most of my desk-space no no room for any additional light source, and I have no windows close to me to take advantage of sunlight. There are, plenty of general office florescence bulbs hanging over me throughout the day. The only plants I can think of that would be fine in these conditions are lucky bamboo, and marimo. Anyone have any more suggestions?

For live stock, I don't care. No fish, but some cool snails might find there way in there. I've only kept bladder, MTS, and apple. I keep hearing about these nerites, are they as nifty as they sound?

I also want to keep the foot-print about mason-jar sized, but not a mason jar.

Any help?

#2 ·
I made a little vase for my wife. It gets almost no light. I put a few low light stems and they didn't survive but Dwarf Hair Grass did, kind of surprised me. You may give that a shot. It's not growing much but it's still alive after more than a few months.

I just got a few nerites not long ago. I think they are attractive, I love them. The fact they do so much for algae is a major plus but they are cool looking in general and seem to move around more than a lot of other snails I have had. To my knowledge, I don't think they can easily reproduce like pond snails which is a major plus for me. The only other types of snails I have had are Apple snails which I think are less attractive.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! The DHG idea is intriguing, I had a similar experience with the stuff. I feel I would have to carpet it in high light, then ease it into low light. I also wouldn't want to cut it, would be difficult in the little vase.

I kinda want moss, but I'm afraid of it dying and looking awful.

#4 ·
DHG will not carpet without good light, at least in any reasonable time period. In 3-4 months, it has like 3 new runners, basically about the same as 1 day in a high tech, if not less. I would only use it to look the same as how you plant it, not for a carpet.

Moss should do well, I had a bag of some sort of moss that I used what I needed and just left it in a bag in my stand. It was still fine like 2 months later. Not sure what type it was but moss is hard to kill. I find it easier to make it look ugly in a high light, high CO2 setup to be honest.

#5 ·
If you have room, you could always use a small desk lamp and cfl bulb. I have a quart glass jar with some java moss, water wisteria, two types of hygrophola and a small tropical fern growing. I couldn't get DHG to grow, although I tried. I have a couple of ghost shrimp and a couple of Painted Fire Reds in there.

#7 ·
something like this (minus the betta) could be a good idea. You could take advantage of the situation by using emergent plants such as pothos (pictured), arrowhead vine, peace lily etc. For the underwater section some java moss might be able to survive...

#8 ·
this screams moss.

I had a mason jar set up that had some moss wrapped around a stick, an anubias, dwarf water lettuce as a floater, and a little patch of micro sword that did suprisingly well. substrate was miracle grow, capped with sand. I did run a light over mine, but only for a few hours a day.

I think you could do something very similar with the florescence from your office. Throw some moss on a stick or rock, throw in a couple pieces of dwl, anubias, java ferns, and crypts in the substrate. Here is a picture of mine: (home to ramshorn snails)

Is there anything you could HANG a light from? (since desk-space is the issue) or you can get something like this that suctions on: http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/solarflare.html (the one called: Solarflare Micro LED light 6700K ADB42892)

Take a look at this link to get some creativity juices pumping. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=363465

#10 ·
I have a bowl that has been set up for at least a month. It only receives filtered indirect light (north, so not a lot of light) and a cfl 10ft away. The plants I keep are crypt undulata in the center and peacock moss on the bottom.
The crypts are kept on still sand with osmocote plus, and have doubled in number of leaves in a month :)

Pic from a month ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.