The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mud Crabs Have Arrived ,Rropanopeus harrisii, Now with Eggs

26K views 194 replies 28 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got the order for what were called Mud crabs in today. I actually got sent 1 extra so I have 5 instead of 4 which is a nice surprise. Taking pictures later tonight.

See less See more
#12 ·
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Thanks so much for sending me this link :)

These are so neat. I'll be looking forward to updates )

How big are they, what tank are you keeping them in and have they been aggressive yet?

#13 ·
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Are they those teeny tiny crabs?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#14 ·
You might be thinking of the Thai Micro Crabs. They're fully fresh water.

These are a different species we had a discussion on about a month ago. They're for sale on eBay. They are apparently a brackish water crab with adaptive freshwater capabilities.

#19 · (Edited)
Hey, great! Thanks for this thread!

Ever since finding out this species is rapidly inhabiting The Baltic Ocean, I've been wanting to find and keep some.

Following along to see how they work for you.

A question: many crabs need/like emersing from water at times. Are you seeing any signs of this, or is it a true aquatic species, like most of the full marine crab species seem to be?

#22 ·
Indeed!
The plot thickens, somewhat.

Kid'n.

Just a parameter I'm interested in.
After having kept Geosesarmas, Sesarmas, Ucas, Cardisoma, Gecarcinus and a couple of unidentified crabs and finding/getting several species of Full marine crabs in reef setups, I want to know more about them.

AND I'm finishing a setup suitable for semi-amphibious freshwater/brackish crabs, so further data on R. harrisii is welcomed.

#28 ·
More pics.
Really digging the pics. I'll be interested to hear your take on space requirements. Once they grow out and get their territory picked out, you should have a good feel for it.

#27 ·
That was a question already in this thread. Lol two or three posts up he said he hadn't observed it. When I pmed the seller, he told me fully aquatic as well. Now that doesn't mean they are, but still.

#35 ·
Well as of tonight I did not see the crabs at all. I would assume they are just hiding. I put the moonlights on and after an hour or so I did see one of them. I put food in a glass dish hopefully they are able to climb in it to find the food and aren't afraid to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.