The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cheap place to get co2 tanks and refills around Indy?

40K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  loudmouthdog 
#1 ·
I called some welding shops around the city, and they pretty much all want around 100 dollars or so before I even get the tank in my hands, and that's before I even get it filled. Their prices for refilling were pretty crazy as well. 2.5 and 5 lb tanks are pretty similarly priced. Anyone have any luck around Indianapolis with co2 tanks that would be willing to share your experiences?

#2 ·
Why not just use paintball co2? Have you checked out jagged fury's thread? Paintball tanks are very easily obtainable, most for less than $20' and my local dicks sporting goods only charges $3.99 for a refill. Just a thout. Works well on tanks less than say 30 gallons. But if your setting up a 90 gallon or something either use more, or use a more expensive larger tank like the ones your talking about. But my pressurized co2 only cost me around $40. Good luck!

#4 ·
I would check out Indiana Oxygen. Not sure what they charge for a tank but anywhere you go they are not cheap and refills are only 35 dollars. Most tanks the size for like a pepsi machine are around $75 may sound expensive but it will last you forever depending on how many tanks you run. Ive had one for about a year without having to refill. I believe mine is a 50lb canister with a TW of 25.4.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses! I'm planning this for a 75 gallon tank with high light, and I guess my main concern was that maybe one paintball canister wouldn't be enough. I started thinking about larger tanks, but after calling around, I was a little put off by going that route. I was hoping to keep it within $100 total for pressurized, and I think paintball might be my best option. I'll just have to consider getting a second sometime in the future.

#7 ·
I have three 20lb tanks and am wanting something smaller...I'm running one of them on a 75g right now. It'll last forever. They aren't pretty but they work! I'll call around here (60 miles south of indy) and find out what they cost. Only $25 to refill in Martinsville at Buggyworks.

#11 ·
I saw that deal too! It looks pretty good. I found a 7 lb tank on ebay for about 40 dollars. It's an odd size, and I knew I'd have trouble finding someone to trade it in, but I emailed tuxedo park brewers, and they said they'd be ok with me trading the 7 lb in for a 5 lb tank. I figure, it's basically like getting a filled 40 dollar 5 lb tank, and that's still a pretty good deal.

I'll also definitely call around the fire extinguisher places around here, I'm sure they'd be more likely to have more reasonable deals than the welding places.

#16 ·
I think ebay is definitely the place to go. Found a 20 lbs tank on ebay for $38! I checked the seller's location, and saw she was from Indy too...no shipping charge! I lucked out big time. I think that Indiana Oxygen on the northeast side sounds like a great idea, especially since I live up there. Thanks for the info!

#20 · (Edited)
Just filled my 10lb tank at AirGas on the southside for $10.70. Friendly guys and quick service (though I went at 9am so they weren't very busy yet). They are open 8-5, no weekends unfortunately.

They are located just inside 465 on south Emerson (just past the big ExpoBowl).

EDIT: I would advise against this place... they overfilled my tank (to 2500psi!) causing the safety valve to blow and releasing 10lbs of co2 into my house and also damaging my regulator. They are replacing both, but never got an apology and the customer service was awful... be advised.

#24 ·
I know this is an old post, but all you guys filling your CO2 tanks at paintball places need to hear this: you need FOOD GRADE CO2. Non-food grade CO2 may have higher levels of benzene that can give you headaches and cause you health problems. The government regulates the food grade CO2 and makes sure that the chemicals are at minimum for food grade CO2, and paintball and non-food and you do not want to hurt yourself. So do your research and make sure you're getting the right gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.