The Planted Tank Forum banner

Central Illinois (Peoria/Bloomigton-Normal)

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Zorya 
#1 ·
Greetings, Are there any clubs or organizations in the Central Illinois Region? No offense to you Chicago folks...but south of I-80 is not Southern Illinois just as Peoria is not Northern Illinois for the Carbondale folks.

#4 ·
I did do a Google search and located a "Central Illinois Aquarium Club" website, however, it seems to be defunct. I was not able to access it to submit a membership request. I was hoping someone that was a frequent visitor of this site would have some insight.

#13 ·
@MrMoogy Welcome. I live neat Taylorville. Work in Springfield.

Bump: I wanted to mention, I posted an raok in the Illinois forum if anyone is interested.

#14 ·
Hey Illinoisans! Another one here in downstate!

So are there any "must see" freshwater stores around that are worth the drive? I know Sailfin over in Champaign is a good one, and Bloomington Normal used to have a few good ones, but they all seem to have folded, and now all we have left is Petco and Premium Pet Supply. Any other decent ones that you guys know of?

Cheers!

#15 ·
Sailfin used to be a decent one. Last batch of fish I bought one had anchor worm and half died. They had several floaters I brought to their attention plus they went back on their word for me returning the dead stock. I told my wife I should run now and didnt follow my instinct.

There is one in Bloomington whose name escapes me, Ive been wanting to check them out.

In Springfield I like Natures Select. Good choice of fish and they will order what you want if they dont have it. I have bought a ton of fish from them with good results. Plus they have tissue culture plants. The folks that own it are hobbyists themselves and animal lovers in general. Very friendly service as well.

#16 ·
Ah man, that's a bummer about Sailfin. They used to be top in my mind...but that was quite some time ago, for sure.

For Bloomington Premium Pet Supply has been around for a bit, and their selection is OK. It doesn't seem like they have anything much above and beyond what Petco, et al carry. Then there was Marine Aquatics in Normal, and then Bloomington. He was an enthusiast as well, so it was generally a pleasant experience. Unfortunately he went out of business. Then there was the Pet Supply Center on Linden in Normal that had a lot of tanks. Some rare fish and lots of plants, too. They have also closed. I think there was a startup in a warehouse type setting east of the airport, too, that closed. Seems like a bad town to keep a fish store going. :(

I'll definitely check out Natures Select, though. Thanks for the info!

Edit: Oh yeah, I just learned that The Shrimp Farm is here in Bloomington, too! I sent them an email to see if they have a storefront, or if they are just a online/drop ship kind of operation.

#17 ·
I was really disappointed with my last experience. I drove two hours to buy fish from them. When I found the anchor worm I cannot begin to tell you how angered I was. I think the youngsters working in there are kind of running the show and not so much John any more and it shows.

#19 ·
I am in the Peoria vicinity..meaning less than 5 min from downtown Peoria. I would absolutely be game to get a club or at the very least a few folks able to converse about the subject together.

#20 ·
I too am from the Peoria area. There is a club that holds auctions at the VFW in bartonvile. Unfortunately there are not a lot of local shops in the sourounding areas. I find that when I plan a trip, I am always using google to find shops in that area.

Bump: I too am from the Peoria area. There is a club that holds auctions at the VFW in bartonvile. Unfortunately there are not a lot of local shops in the sourounding areas. I find that when I plan a trip, I am always using google to find shops in that area.

#23 ·
Just wanted to chime in here that I'm also a fish hobbyist here in central Illinois (just north of Peoria). I've searched for as many local options I can find. There is a hobby group here in Peoria at Tri-County Tropical Fish Society but they don't appear to be very active.

I've also read both good and bad about Charlie's Aquarium. From what I've found on social media they like to verbally abuse customers that have a problem with their products or services, so I just resign myself to going to PetCo or PetsMart if I need something locally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.