The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nampa/Boise Surrounding Area

22K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  Mclean77t 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Please post here if you live in the Boise/Nampa area and please tell us what kind of fish, plants, exc. you keep. This will help people know what you have and who to ask for what if they want to buy or swap stuff.

#2 ·
Here is my reply:

I live in Nampa/Caldwell area.
I have a 75 gallon planted fish tank. I keep Bosemani Rainbows and Pseudomugil furcatus. I have a whole bunch of Java Moss if anyone ever wants to buy some. Also should be able to sell Red Cherry Shrimp in a few months if anyone wants some of those. If my rainbows ever breed I will sell them too, right now I have not been successful in breeding those.

If anyone keeps live food I am interested in whatever you have. I would like to breed daphnia but let me know what you have got!

#63 ·
Here is my reply:
Have your cherry shrimp become ready to sell yet?

I live in Nampa/Caldwell area.
I have a 75 gallon planted fish tank. I keep Bosemani Rainbows and Pseudomugil furcatus. I have a whole bunch of Java Moss if anyone ever wants to buy some. Also should be able to sell Red Cherry Shrimp in a few months if anyone wants some of those. If my rainbows ever breed I will sell them too, right now I have not been successful in breeding those.

If anyone keeps live food I am interested in whatever you have. I would like to breed daphnia but let me know what you have got!

#4 ·
Me too, that is why I started this thread. It just doesn't seem like there is much of a demand for our hobby in this area. There aren't a whole lot of fish stores and only a few locally owned ones that I know of. None of them have any real selection of plants.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I think its based out of Boise it seems like everyone is using it. I am going to list some fish there when I get the time.I know that there is a guy from Boise selling a bunch of Fish on there.I have been watching his listings because the fish look nice and cheap.

Do you still have the rainbowfish fry? Are you looking to sell/trade some.

#10 ·
The link for your light does not work.

But I wanted to let you know that if you need any aquarium supplies, or even used aquariums I carry or can get a lot of stuff for you. I do saltwater Reef tanks, just don't have room for freshwater right now, but if I could figure out where to put the tanks I would.

Kim Gross
Jen's Saltwater Haven
332 W Dewey Ave
Nampa ID 83686
208-209-3573
www.jensaltwaterhaven.com

#12 ·
Hi all,

I'm from Nampa and have a 30 gallon low-tech setup. Tetras and a bristlenose pleco. Lots of MTS. I'm still pretty new, so I don't have any extra plants to trade but I've got lots of old equipment and tanks hanging around (10, 25, 50, 55) that I might be willing to trade for help in getting my new 75 gallon low tech project up and going.

#14 ·
Hi Triv,

Mine will be slow-going. I'll probably be looking for new hardware for the return from the sump as before we just had plastic tubing. Probably an upgrade on my pump. I'll be needing new lighting as right now I have a shop light that holds 3 40watt T8's or T12's, I'm not sure which. And I'll need substrate and plants, of course! But we're expecting a baby in July and even if I can get a bunch of this stuff in trade, we'll have to shell out some cash for a good deal of it. I'm going for low-tech. I like crypts, anubias and swords and I'm thinking about going with MTS for substrate, but I haven't worked out how much it costs or what is involved for prepping it yourself.

There's still a lot of research for me to do. My husband is pretty handy but it comes down to him having the time to help me with some of it. I'm glad to know there's another hobbyist in the area. It would be fantastic if we can work out trades in the future! :)

Sarita

#15 ·
Definitely. I doubt that you will need to upgrade the light. I am currently running 4 t-8's over a 24 inch deep diy 100 gallon and my plants are al growing well. I got my substrate from Lowes for about 4 bucks total, though I should have went to International Stone in Boise and picked up what I really wanted. I am using regular old potting soil for my substrate capped with pea gravel. Topsoil is super cheap if you go that route. I've gto 3 different swords, if they end off shooters I'll gladly trade them with you.

#16 ·
I'm in Twin Falls and will be converting to african cichlids pretty soon, might be posting to S&S if/when I get a decision made. I don't want to quit my plants, but with school starting back up, I'm barely holding my head above water with tanks, kids, dogs etc. Good to see some other Idaho people around here!

#29 ·
I found a baby cherry shrimp in my crystal tank a few days ago. I have no idea how it got there. I have not moved anything from any of my other tanks into the crystal tank.

Like the duckweed I believe cherry shrimp are able to travel through the air and deposit themselves in various open containers of liquid. They end up everywhere.

#30 ·
Oi, hey Rams, and Em! And Stullion! And... and Uncle Francis, the famous ivy tamer!

I had a 5 gallon I was trying to raise a copepod / daphnia culture in to use as live food, but I was actually having better luck just with jars on the windowsill, so I was cleaning it out the other day to turn it into a spare tank for rearing fry or to use as a quarantine, and found a half grown cherry shrimp crawling in the detritus on the bottom. No clue how it got there. It is right next to the shrimp tank, but that tank has a glass lid on it and I've never transferred anything between the two. I have to assume it crawled out and managed to make it to the other tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.