The Planted Tank Forum banner

High Maintenance tank but low maintenance GF! *UPDATE: ADA60P to Custom wannabe 60F!

25K views 153 replies 30 participants last post by  Down_Shift 
#1 · (Edited)
It was time for new dimensions for my display tank!
CLICK HERE FOR INITIAL POST!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6090762&postcount=145

Final Specs Tear down on 6/6/14

60P old school + Finnex HOB Refugium

Modified IKEA Beste (supports and chopped legs)

Eco Complete/Flora Max Mix with Osmo+ Tabs

Filter: eheim 2215, stainless lily pipes with skimmer. addition eheim 2211 circulation filter with purigen on HOB 1g finnex Refugium + a nano 240 wavemaker for extra flow

Controller: Reef Keeper 2

Lighting: Ray 2 and Planted+ Combo on Ramp up schedule and a Fugeray on the finnex refuge

CO2: Injected, azoo regulator. Inline Atomizer + glass counter

projected specs
tank: 60P classic
stand: IKEA Beste
substrate: eco complete + flora max mix with 2root-tabs/4x4
filter: eheim 2215, stainless lily pipes
controller: reef keeper2
lighting: lighting rack hung, 2x LED fxitures Ray2+??
co2: injected azoo regulator, in line atomizer, UP aqua inline valve/counter

dry start specs:
12 hours of 4x24w t5ho
saran wrapped for 12 hours, open top of 12 hours.
aquariumfertz all-on-one blend dry ferts mixed in spray bottle for misting 1-2 times a day
waterline has some flourish
root tabbed substrate 2tabs/4x4

After having multiple tanks sit and die the past year I contemplated selling a few larger tanks to keep my smaller ADA nanos. After redoing my small city apartment, it made more sense to consolidate and keep one tank for space and time.. Decided what the hell, let's break down all the nanos and keep one tank. The 60P.
previous journal

breakdown of the 60P

Cleaning!

Inspiration and planning::

Started looking at some journals for inspiration. the 60P would be the perfect sized tank, large, but small enough for a small apartment. And way more maintainable than a bunch of smaller nano's. Some of the recent 60P journals are fn' amazing!

1) The Stand

Brian_Cali77's Tank gave me the idea for the stand. After cleaning out my apartment, I got rid of alot of furniture and picked up a similar stand from IKEA.
*Note: the shelving is not rated for a fish tank! Brian has had no issues, and it doesn't look like I will either. Although I bought a different model of the same style. I will be putting a few 2x4's for added support once I flood the tank. It has passed the Ass test, where you jump and sit on the stand to see if it will buckle. I plan on doing a lighter theme as most tanks I've had and seen are black background and black/wood stands. I decided to do a lighter theme, so I went with the white.

You can see the new stand replacing the black drawer set with the rimless tray and ADA nano stand.

I also found a cheap LED strip at Ikea. I didn't want any crazy colors, so I opt'd for the yellowish halogen looking light. (picture of the "grip" mat I will be using and old reef keeper2)

2) The filter and pipes
I previously ran 2 Rena XP2 cans on this tank. It ran great. The only issue I had with the Renas were 1) they are noisy. 2) the quick release is a GREAT idea, but it's prone to leaking. The later made a mini flood in my apartment living room. I caught it in time, but I did have to pay for repair the water damage for the person's living room under me! (which required them to paint the whole ceiling!)

I will keep it simple this time with something proven to work. Eheim 2215. (ordered this weekend)

I have always been fond of the glass lily pipes. I've owned maybe 5-6 sets of ADA and off brand pipes. Multiple sets mostly due to having to order a pair to replace 1 pipe that I broke. For this tank, I plan on using Stainless steel pipes. This will keep with the white and stainless/brushed theme I am going with.

3) Lighting
I previously had a current sat. 4x24w t5ho. Which I'm still currently using! This was equipped with moonlights and I also installed an additional LED moon light to it. Tempted to try new lighting as LED's were not affordable when I originally setup the tank! Ordered a Ray2 this weekend. I will possibly order a 2nd LED fixture, planted+? I plan on hanging the fixtures as they are so small and light.

4) Controller
I previously bought 2 sets of ReefKeeper2's. Both of them are messed up in one way or another. The displays are known to dim or die. One display is currently dead and the other one is on its way out. I have notified DigitalAquatics about this, hopefully we can figure something out to get me in the game again.

See less See more
#2 ·
after a few days of playing with the scape
this is what I started with:
I didn't have much time as I had a 7 year old crypt sitting in another small tank waiting to be planted. I decided to try a dry start as I will be getting some more foreground and other plants to play with.

//end of first day of actual filled in scape.

#4 ·
day 6:

crypts melting.
mold is almost gone.
fixed up my scape a little since I got rid of the slates. Trying to get the wood higher above the tank.

a friend mailed me a bunch of MM. about 200 nodes.

took forever to clean up and plant.

Here's how we look as of today. MM's been planted for about 24 hours now and they already have noticeable growth.
Sunday 10/20/13

#5 · (Edited)
Following along! Your besta stand has an interesting design. Don't recall seeing that one at Ikea. I'm curious as to how you're going to reinforce it with the 2x4's. Would you mind taking pics of what you did and elaborating on it? I feel confident in my stand now, but I'll be moving back to cali in a year and since it's earthquake territory I need things to be a little more safe.

Anyway, your setup is looking good so far. I like the game plan on the SS pipes. They'll look perfect with the white stand, silver Finnex lights, and conduit light hangers. Real euro modern!

I know the classic ADA 60p must be flawless compared to the newer (China made) ones. She's a keeper, good choice! I was somewhat disappointed with some silicone imperfections in mine. But hey, it hold water! ;)

I'd definitely throw at least on planted+ on there, if not two. I guess mixing it with one Ray 2 would get you the higher PAR. I just wonder if the reds in only one fixture would just get drowned out though?

Edit:
Ohh... I see what you did with the stand. You got two of the shorter Besta units and stacked them. So instead of one like I got, which would be 64cm tall... you stacked two shorter ones to get 76cm tall. Man!!! I wish I would have thought of that! Instead I had to make mine taller with a makeshift pedestal. Smart man!

#9 ·
Went to homedepot to look at materials today. Have an idea in mind for a light stand as I can't suspend my lights from my extra high ceiling.

Looks the materials to build a ADA looking light stand will be under $20 bucks!
Now it's either simple triangle shelf hangers drilled into the wall or bent conduit clamped to the stand.
Very tempted to do the conduit since the wall it's on is painted a special gray for my projector.

Will measure and get everything in detail later this week.

a few people have done it on the forums. I wasn't very successful though.

#13 ·
The Light stand::

So I've been wanting to suspend a light fixture above the tank. The less in/on the tank the better.

Originally I was going to order this guy for 35 bucks with about 40 bucks of shipping!
Figured i can make a simpler and cleaner stand.

I wanted something more towards this style.

So... a trip to home depot and a quick sketch. This is what I had in mind.

One piece of 10' 1/2d conduit is only about $2.24! The bender is a bit steep, $40. The employee told me to just rent one from the front desk or even just buy it and return it later. I also asked him about extending the power wires. I want to run the wires INSIDE the conduit to keep it clean. Will be taking apart the fixtures to see if they are screw-in terminals/clamps or soldered. I will also put in a 2nd cable for the future when I pick up the second fixture.

I play on having a straight vertical length of 6'. This gives me above 2' of adjustment above the tank. The fixture won't have much PAR to spare once suspended so I plan to keep it as close to to the tank as possible. Then raise it when I'm doing work on the tank.

I have to mount the conduit on the side of the tank due to the "ikea" cardboard backing. I will have to make 2 bends. One towards the front of the tank to make the light sit centered above the tank. ~8". Then I will need another bend across the tank to suspend the light. ~24" (length of light). I can get away with cutting it slightly shorter for a cleaner look, may cut it to 22".

6' + 8" + 22" = 8'6". The 10ft conduit needs to be cut. The home depot employee recommended a sawzall. Will look into this later this week.

I estimate the cost of the stand itself (conduit, clamps, screws) will only cost about $6.
The extended cables will be a bit more. Have not looked at this yet. Also have to calculate the adjustment space and slack to plug it into a outlet. so give or take 12-13ft of cable each light.
This will vary depending on your choice or light/extension cable/ziptie to outside of stand.

the only thing I'm afraid of is conduit not being stiff enough and having a slight bend. Hopefully suspending lighter LED fixtures will not cause this issue.
Still the actual fixture to see how the cable is connected. And how to hang the fixture.

More on this later this week when I get it put together.

Ray2 and Eheim Can arrive on Wednesday.

#14 ·
day 7.

Didn't do much..

mist the tank with dryfertz during its light cycle. I also misted it this morning after opening the top for air circulation.

Loaded the substrate with about 43 root tabs.
Alot of the MM are starting to get rooted already!

still saving the foreground area infront of the wood for micro sword, HC, or dwarf hair grass. Whatever I can find.
I plan on flooding the tank around thanksgiving since the rest of my accessories will be brought back from asia the week of thanksgiving.
as of now, the plan is to get the ray2 working and plant the rest of the foreground. maybe some moss on the wood for some more green. I have about 3 basketball sizes of moss in the other tanks at my parent's.

#15 ·
Wow... 43 root tabs? Isn't that a tad excessive?

Man... I did the conduit light hanger with two 90° bends for hanging a single Ray 2 over my 60F. Two things... 1.) Creating the double bends was tough, it was a two man job. 2.) Not sure how you're going to hang two lights with that configuration?

I think I'd go with a conduit pipe on each end of the stand with one 90° bend going from the back to the front, rather than across. That way it's not only easier to bend but you'd be able to hang two lights easier with four eyelets.

Here's an image I found of what I mean... just a suggestion.

#18 ·
thanks guys. those are setups are exactly what I want to do. Except the back of the ikea stand is not wood. So I will have to mount it to the rear right side corner.
pole height to tank looks perfect on Brian's.

bending looks like a pita. will have to look at other options at the garage.

p.s. sexy tats brian

#19 ·
day 9.

Finnex Ray2 came in. Holy crap this thing is small. I thought it was the box of wiper blades I ordered for one of my cars!

There should be no problem hanging 1 or 2 of these on conduit. They are so light. And insanely bright too. Note my t5ho's are probably a bit dimmer than new but wow the difference is crazy. One con is the truth about the wash out of colors. It' s a cool white. You can see the contrast from the pink t5ho's I have.

I will leave 4x24w t5ho and the ray2 on tonight to see how the plants react >=)

Been very busy lately with non-plantedtank stuff. will leave some pics for now.

#20 ·
Back again for more. Old school 60P

Day 10.

Came home tonight and noticed all my stems in the top of the hill melting and getting soft. Figured it was from the low water level. In an attempt to save them I flooded the tank up to the top level of the hill. Hopefully I didn't make a bad decision.

I will prob fill the tank soon. I want to play some micro sword or hair grass. Only thing preventing me from filling the whole tank is I have to move the stand later this weekend to build the light stand.

MM is growing pretty fast.

#25 ·
I wish I could, but my ceiling is basically the whole apartment. If I were to ever want to patch and paint, I'd have to do basically the whole apartment.

Can't wait to see this tank filled out! How did the mini flood accident go over? I live on a 2nd floor and cant imagine what I would do if that happened, I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to have the 28g that I have in my living room.
Luckily I know the people under me. They were very cool. And they had some cracks they were looking to get patched and painted. So I just paid for the repairman to come and cut out the wet spot, dry it out and clean out any chance of mold. Then he patched everything and painted the whole ceiling. It could've been alot worse with different people or if I damaged electronics. (I had a leak in my bathroom from the person above me and it damaged a light, it had to be replaced on their dime)

Ive grown both at that par and expect it to spread even slower than usual. how high do you really need the ray II? why not just use leg extensions to elevate?
It's totally fine on the tank, but I wanted to have it hung. More of a style thing than function thing. These lights were definitely not made to be high off the tank. More to come in following post..

#26 ·
Here's how my Saturday went:

Slept in. Woke up went shopping. Figured it was time to hit Homedepot one last time and pick up all the hardware.

1st visit.

Oh ya, that should definitely be fine in my sedan.

I call this one "stanced with poke"

read up on other ways of cutting conduit while I went and did other shopping. Just kind of left the car hanging with the poke for a few hours. I originally planned on bringing it back and cutting it with a sawzall. Looked on the Home Depot website for hacksaws. Found this mini guy, $4 FOUR FOUR BUCKS. Yes $4. And the reviews were top rated with comments of cutting conduit like butter. OK, let's do some parking lot cutting..

besides getting thumbs ups from everyone that drove by in their cars. This looked way safer! (The mall is only ~4 blocks from my house in city traffic)

Oh side story:
Here's what I ended up picking up during the same trip..

got lazy trying to hunt stuff down. made a few calls to local stores.. Dwarf hairgrass and 2 pots of microsword. Bought little baby crypts just for kicks.

#27 ·
after unloading the car and doing other errands the rest of the day... I did some more thinking about the hanging portion of the project. checked out some threads from Brian and Spooln, did a few searches for other people's ideas.

Back to homedepot ~9:50pm.

After dinner and hanging out with the misses.
With a few drinks in me. I decided to start the light project.
~11:30pm
note: small ass city apartment.

the pole.

Here's my solution for the hanging.

Notice the nut on the hooks. They can pivot :bounce:

A total shot in the dark, found some hooks that fit the Ray2's leg slots.

Not very happy with the wire and the stupid furrels? (clamps for the loops) I think I will try to hang it with clear fishing line instead for a cleaner look.

need to clean up the wiring and stuff... purple extension cord is temporary until I figure out my aquarium controller situation...

The project took maybe a little over an hour. Very easy project. The bending isn't all that bad. Just need to know how to use the markings on the bender. This is proof you don't need any power tools! You can get a $4 hacksaw and cut the conduit!

Project cost was around $20 bucks. That's including the hacksaw which I will keep around for other things. Bender cost wasn't included as I borrowed it from the store :icon_bigg

planted the new stuff too

#28 ·
The ray2 was definitely not designed to be very high off the tank. The light spread is very uneven. Obviously it stays mostly in the mid ground of the tank, but the fall off is very sudden. I'm afraid the foreground won't be very happy. Will definitely be looking into picking up a second LED fixture. Hopefully the planted+ gets out soon. Need more light.

And next project...

DigitalAquatics only offered me "free shipping" on anything I buy to replace my two broken Reef Keeper 2's. Kind of surprised at their service as they know the common issues with the display units and there's not loyalty or warranty trade in option. I bought 2 of these, my friend bought 2 as well. That's four RK2's! talk about loyalty!
Will be tearing these guys down and seeing if I can swap over parts to get one unit working or source out a new LCD display. I might just breakdown and buy a new controller from another company? I mean, I can get "free shipping" and a lower than retail price on amazon for a new Reef Keeper!

Will probably be filling the tank and getting the can. filter running this week also. The tank looks sad half filled. Need to open the box and see if the ehiems come with any usable media. suggestions greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.