The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hazy glass

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  crshadow 
#1 ·
Since upgrading my lighting, the unsightly faint white haze throughout the inside of my 20 gallon is untolerable. It isn't a thick calcium or lime build up, rather extremely thin and patchy, as it dried on b/c of water spots. It feels like scratching a chalkboard. I've already tried Pythons Rydant 2 aquarium cleaner, which is advertised to remove Ca/lime build up; it hasn't on the glass, but only the thick stuff on the rim.

Are there any good metohds to turn my glass back to crystal clear?

#7 ·
That might be etching on the glass. I think when the water evaporates from the tank then condenses on the glass it actually dissolves the glass because it is distilled water. If you search the APD mailing list archives this topic was discussed recently and one suggested remedy was a liquid glass polishing kit available online. Some reported they tried physical polishing with no real benefit. The APD archives are here:

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/

The thread was in the last month or two.

Tony

#9 ·
This may not be relevant any longer, but if you still haven't put anything into the tank, you might want to try a product called "Kaboom." Its pretty strong stuff meant to get red of lime/rust/etc in bathrooms, etc. I used it successfully to remove hazyness off of a 5 gallon that I had tried many other products on to no avail. Be sure to rinse out the aquarium VERY VERY well afterwards however.

-Jeremiah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.