The Planted Tank Forum banner

Marine Fish and Reef

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  thenameless 
#1 ·
Hey guys I work at Marine Fish and Reef. I'm the new freshwater guy. I'm completely in charge of bringing in new fish and plants. So if you have been in the store before and were disappointment with the freshwater fish and plant selection... come stop by again and see me! I promise I have made lots of changes with the freshwater section at our store. I also have lots of plants in stock.

#4 ·
hah, i think met you in the store a few weeks back. i bought an amazing piece of mopani wood from your 'used' stash ;)

glad to hear you're revamping the freshwater section. (maybe new planted tank too?!?) i haven't seen any good freshwater LFS around Atlanta and it would be nice to finally have a good local place to buy from instead of relying on online orders!

#5 ·
Ya that was me! Im really glad you like the wood. Ive been working on bringing in new types of rock for nice hardscaping needs. As far as a new planted tank im going to have to hold of for a month or so because we are going be doing a full store revamp. New tanks/systems everything. Im very excited about it

#6 ·
can't believe my phone was dead when I came in today... anyway, here's the pic of the mopani piece in its new home! the tank is still new so hopefully it'll look better once everything fills in.

oh, and there's the nerite i got from you today right in the middle, haha

anybody who hasn't met axio or hasn't been to the store recently should definitely check it out! maybe take a few donkey-kong size parrots home while you're at it... ;)

#7 ·
cool, i drive through there when i go visit my friends. I have noticed it before, but thought it was just saltwater fish overthere. well i will make sure to stop by soon:)

axio what is your real name, so i can ask for you?:)

#8 ·
Thank wood looks awesome in there! I think it will look even better once the foreground grows in. I'm glad the snail went right to work =) How has it been working with the Aquasoil? Do the granules break easily or stay together pretty well?

cool, i drive through there when i go visit my friends. I have noticed it before, but thought it was just saltwater fish overthere. well i will make sure to stop by soon

axio what is your real name, so i can ask for you?

My real name is Jakub. Please do come visit us. I promise I'll take good care of you if you want to get plants or fish. With extras and discounts =)

#11 ·
Planted Tank Guy

Hey Jakub,

You said to find this thread and post a picture. I've attached a pic of the tank as it was before my dad took care of it for a week... Everything you see is trimmed down significantly to where it's all green again (except the red wendti of course). I'll be ordering some dwarf baby tears to cover all that ugly red flourite and then some taiwan moss to decorate the driftwood. Perhaps a little rotala and ludiwega to put in the background too because water sprite gets too weedy.

As always, thanks for all your help. That new light fixture also makes the cardinals insanely colorful. I'm sure I'll be back soon!

Attachments

#12 ·
I really like how it looks. I even like the bushy look of the watersprite coming up behind the wood. I think the rock you have in the back middle looks a little bit too unnatural compared to the rest of your layout. I agree on the stem plants thought. I think you should load up the back corners with stems. One of our techs brought in some really nice Sunset Hygro today. Either way your scape is coming along very nicely. The wood looks great. Nice arrangement.

#13 ·
Unnatural rock

Yeah, I agree with the unnatural looking rock kind of in the middle. I figured once I get some moss around it, it may look better. Any thoughts as to what else I can do with it?? That other flat rock I bought is actually buried under the cave looking part of the driftwood on the right. Just the surface is showing, and I think it will look really cool when the dwarf baby tears come in and grow around it. I'm going to be stuffing the tank with both red and green rotala as well as letting the DBTs create a lawn. Thoughts?

Also, my dad wants an aquarium for his office... I may be back in the store soon!

#14 ·
Yeah, I agree with the unnatural looking rock kind of in the middle. I figured once I get some moss around it, it may look better. Any thoughts as to what else I can do with it?? That other flat rock I bought is actually buried under the cave looking part of the driftwood on the right. Just the surface is showing, and I think it will look really cool when the dwarf baby tears come in and grow around it. I'm going to be stuffing the tank with both red and green rotala as well as letting the DBTs create a lawn. Thoughts?

Also, my dad wants an aquarium for his office... I may be back in the store soon!
It's a little tricky trying to get moss to attach to rock compared to wood. What I've seen people do is take some of the moss they get and chop it up into tiny tiny pieces. Then take the chopped up moss and rub it all over the rock. Doing this will get little bits and pieces of moss into all the pores of the rock and after a few weeks it will make your rock look nice and green. So after the moss rub down also tie some nice clumps of moss over the rock. I think that process would be your best bet to getting the rock completely covered with green as fast as possible. Keep in mind you might not see any of the "rubbed" on moss for a few days but it will start showing after a while.

Here is a video to show and example of what I mean with the moss rub. The whole video is an amazing watch but the rubbing process begins at around 5:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhvzRtUYJZ0

I completely agree on the stems. Load em up! If you can pull the DBT carpet I think it will look amazing. Your off to a great start imo.

And on the topic of setting up a tank for your dads office. I'll be getting in the new Fluval Flora, Ebi, and Spec tanks hopefully some time within the next few weeks. They make perfect desktop tanks. And they come with everything you need. The Flora even has the new Fluval Co2 system included. I'm getting my self the Flora and setting up a Spec for my GF. Check them out...

http://www.fluvalblog.com/fluval-flora-up-close/
http://www.fluvalblog.com/fluval-ebi-up-close/
http://www.fluvalblog.com/fluval-spec-up-close/

These types of tanks are becoming HUGE in Europe and now that Fluval is offering something like it in the states I think they will growing in popularity quickly.

#16 ·
Was at the store last week, was after 5, you left already.
Your freshwater department needs lots of care, dude.
Are you responsible for the planted tank? not really attractive (words of my wife and she is not into the hobby)

I hate to see all those fish in those mini tanks :( GBR's looked like the worst I ever seen.
If you want I can sell you some GBR's in 2 months +1"

Its a shame that Atlanta Area doesn't really have a good Fish store, I always have to go to Petland Dunwoody to get kind of quality fish....

#17 ·
I'm really sorry you were dissappointed with us. I'm off on Monday's and Tuesday's so you might have in on one of those days because I work from open till closing time.

One the topic of small tanks I completely I agree with you. They are too small and need to go imediatetly.

I was supposed to wait until Monday until I can publicly announce this... but since you were disappointted I go ahead and let you know. We are going to be moving our store a new location. We will have our own stand alone building. Brand new tanks, new systems, new everything. So basically my bosses are making me hold off on proper changes in the fresh water section. Such as changing out the 6 year old flourite in all planted tanks or changing the 250 watt hilide on the planted 54g corner that just melts everything or grows algae. Along with other much needed changes.

So since the owners are pulling all their money into the new store I have to be patient and wait until I can setup freshwater the proper way.

So once again sorry for your dissappointing visit. I know it is not right to make excuses but I just wanted to provide you with some what of an explanation.

#19 ·
Good Morning!! I was just checking to see if you had moved into your new store yet. I had thought about making a road trip today to visit until I read this thread again. Since it is a 3.5 hr drive I think I will wait until I know you have the new place all set up. Keep us informed.

#21 ·
I am between Albany and Leesburg in Lee County in SW Georgia. I have friends in Atlanta that I visit quite often and have enjoy going to Atlantis Aquariums when I was up there. It will be nice to have another option. I am itching for a road trip so I hope he is set up there soon.

#22 ·
Nice! I'll be doing a trim and re-scape on my tank tomorrow (my wisteria is going out of control). I have ordered my C02 items and some plants. I need to set up my 5gal again for a plant holding tank.

You are not too far away from me. Have to exchange contact info for a shopping road trip!

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.