The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - aquarium stand in raw industrial style

View Single Post
post #222 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 AM
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm not a good designer, when it comes to selecting good proportions. I do notice when I see a design that doesn't seem "right" in proportions, and that was what I reacted to with this one. Unfortunately, I don't know why it seems "not right". When I made a somewhat similar stand, I took Hydrophytes design and kept the same proportions of the parts, and was very pleased with the final appearance. (I measured everything from the photo and figured the proportions from that.) Good design is a skill, and I suspect it is in part something that can be taught, but also in part just good artistic judgment, something I lack.
I chose my proportions based specifically on being able to fit my CO2 tank on/in the lower shelf. Sometimes when you design to mechanical specification you end up sacrificing in the aesthetic. While I enjoy the look of this stand in general (and can't see the proportions behind my chair anyway), I'm contemplating swapping it out for an Ikea stand that Brian_Cali77 is using. It would fit the modern look of my tank and lights better, and offers more storage.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome