The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - aquarium stand in raw industrial style
View Single Post
post #221 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru
PTrader: (79/100%)
Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
Having started with reading this post I wasn't sure what Hoppy's comments were about, but having looked at the pics with the legs exposed gave me some ideas. To me, the stand with the 4x4 legs exposed looks a bit "heavy" and clumsy for the tank. Kinda like looking at an elephant. For a larger stand I think the look would work but for a smaller tank I think it might work better with the lower support closer to the ground. Just my personal opinion though, still love the looks of the stand and the doors/sides. Kinda a tansu-ish look to the stand.
I'm not a good designer, when it comes to selecting good proportions. I do notice when I see a design that doesn't seem "right" in proportions, and that was what I reacted to with this one. Unfortunately, I don't know why it seems "not right". When I made a somewhat similar stand, I took Hydrophytes design and kept the same proportions of the parts, and was very pleased with the final appearance. (I measured everything from the photo and figured the proportions from that.) Good design is a skill, and I suspect it is in part something that can be taught, but also in part just good artistic judgment, something I lack.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome