5.5g betta

8K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  kcoscia 
#1 ·
Here is the beginning of my/my girlfriend's 5.5g betta aquarium

so for specs:
5.5g
Tetra ht 10 50W heater
Hydro Sponge Pro Filter II
tetra whisper air pump for up to 10g (IT IS PRACTICALLY SILENT I AM AMAZED. I didn't think it was even on)

Will have:
eco complete
about 3 wpg
one male betta
maybe snails
plants, plants, plants!

See less See more
#29 ·
aw thanks! and yes! i got CFLs from Home depot that fit right in. Check the watt max on your hood though. This one is 15, so I'm safe with the 14w.
And the shrimp betta situation is actually no issue. When I first put the shrimp in the betta was flaring and going right up in their faces, but when it comes down to it the shrimp are too fast for him
I think it was a territorial display, and now no issues

#34 ·
Anubias is tough! I think it'll pull through. The mother plant in my other tank is covered in BBA :| I got it from my LFS before I really knew that is was bad.
The one thing I found with my guy is he LOVES the floating water sprite. So I would say as long as you have some surface cover and it's cycled put him in! (if you can get water sprite I highly suggest it)

#42 ·
Well when the cold MA weather started drifting in, I noticed it was dropping to 72-74 on the far side of the aquarium. Not acceptable for my little guy. I didn't want him to take an immune system hit so I purchased a petco adjustable, I think 50 watt. Now it stays at 78-80. I may even kick it up a bit

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

#43 ·
The frogbit TOOK OVER. The betta was clearly disliking the fact that he couldn't get to the surface at all. I took about 3/4 out and did some root/anacharis trimming.
It's amazing how excited he is. He's opening his fins so much wider. He is happy.

Also, I could see how my plants were suffering because of the lack of light. I'm hoping things will perk up a bit now that it's shining through.

#47 ·
What have you done!!!? The tank looked amazing clustered up. If anything I would have just taken a knife and cut the tops of the plant a few inches below the waterline leaving one or two here and there. Bettas are from rice ponds and look great the closer you can imitate their environment.
This being said, still looks great and the Betta is Beautiful!

#48 ·
Your betta colored up quite nicely since its "come home" photo, will you try to breed him?

#51 ·
Thanks guys!
He has grown and changed SO much since I got him. I brought him home on 9/1 so it's been about 3 months. No breeding for him. I don't think I have the skills for that yet and I don't know if I will want to if I could hahaha
I'm pleased with the minimalist look, and I'm waiting for the anacharis to get its height back to cover the heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.