The Planted Tank Forum banner

20g long low tech rcs tank

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  dvscar 
#1 ·
Hello planted tank members! I am currently working on my first aquarium which I plan on planting heavily in for red cherry shrimp and endlers. I plan on using this layout I made in ms paint for my tank layout with eco complete substrate. I have several questions that I hope wouldn't be too much trouble to answer.

- What should I use for my lighting? I have found many things online but as soon as I find something I think is informative it is contradicted on another website.

- What fertilizers should I dose with those plants?

- Opinions on filter that I'm looking at?

- Opinions on heater that I'm looking at?

Thanks in advance for anybody who gives me input, I can't wait to get started!

#2 ·
The filter and heater will work fine.

For fertilizers, there are various liquid or dry fertilizers you can put in the tank.

For lighting, it depends on how big your tank is and how much you want to spend. LED lights are more expensive up front, but you don't have to replace the bulbs every year. I use a T5HO 2 bulb fixture on my 29 gallon tank.

#4 ·
A 20g long is fairly shallow, I think you could get away with a single T5H0. Check a hydroponics shop, its much cheaper than and LFS.

I'd also go slightly larger with the filter. Perhaps the 30. The flow is adjustable and if you still find it too much you can simply swap the impeller for one from a 20. This will also leave you with extra space for media:)

Good choice on the Jager. They are awesome!!!

No comment on ferts. I do dirt.

#6 · (Edited)
What are you guyses opinions on this for lighting? I have heard some good things about it but I really don't want to go overkill and have an algae farm for a tank.
I had the 24" over my 20L shrimp tank and loved it. Keep in mind you will probably have to hang the light like i did. Theres a lot of cheap options out there to light a 20L, you can look through my journal and see the different things ive tried recently.

#12 ·
#11 ·
You could wait for the new Finnex Planted Plus to comes out next month. A guy I know (Dahlyvh) was the first to get a Planted Plus from Finnex before general release. He has the 24" Finnex PP on a 20 gal L and it was fine. In fact it wasn't nearly as bright as the Fugeray and I believe the PAR measurements provided by Lowe also indicated this. Dahlyvh eventually added also Fugeray to the tank as well since he wanted high light and runs Co2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.