The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 10g ADAish conversion

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dre 
#1 ·
So I had a 10g that used to house a bunch of PFR shrimp. Over time the population dwindled and them completely died off. I'd had problems with this tank before not being able to sustain life for some reason. Always with different factors and the only thing consistent is the tank itself. I bought this tank from a lady who used to have baby birds in it and I'm thinking that something was in the silicone that wasn't good for fish and shrimp. So I took it upon myself to tear down the tank and hope that new silicone would solve my problem. I had some spare glass laying around so I thought while I was tearing it down, why not turn it into a rim and frameless tank?

This is what it started out as. Plane jane run of the mill 10g tank:

And finished

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! There are rimless tanks all over that do just fine. Sure there are failures, but that can happen on any tank really. Rims are there so the manufacturer can save money by not having to machine the glass edges. It also allows for less-than-perfect assembly and nobody is the wiser. I'm going to test it full of water for a week or so before setting it up.

#6 ·
Nice derimming work! Mine came out a little sloppy.

I don't think you've much to worry about derimming a 10g. I've never removed the bottom when I've done it.........are you going to add a pad or something underneath? I might worry a bit about that.

And the 80 looks awesome too, I wanted to do that on my 55, but it's full now and with fish.......I wonder if I could still do it?

#7 ·
Thanks! This little 10g was the hardest one I've done yet. That thin glass is so brittle and difficult to work with.

I will add a thin sheet of styrofoam under it. I have a little work to do yet on the 10g. The replacement pane I got is about 1mm thinner than stock so it was bowing almost 6mm and caused a pane to bust a seam. I'm going to add some corner braces I cut out some scrap glass and see if that helps.

Doing it on any tank with a stock brace that is full will be difficult. You'll need to brace it before removing the trim and then you'll have to add a brace of some sort back in. Possible? yeah. Would I recomment it? No. I will say that my 55 I have that was originally purchased from wal-mart had machined beveled edges under the plastic trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.