The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester

9K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Public Alias 
#1 ·
I just visited this store for the first time and was very impressed with the variety of plants for sale. Virtually every tank was loaded with healthy plants.
They had some pretty cool display tanks as well. One had freshwater stingrays, and there was another with some large (and pricey) discus.
Anyway, I figure they deserve mention here.

Aquatic Wildlife
179 Deming St
Manchester CT 06040
860-648-1166

Cliff

#2 ·
Lack of plants

I was up in manchester shopping on Sat and stopped by the store. They had all kinds of people looking but only one person working there. I did want to buy my canister filter but after waiting 20 mins with no one around to help i left. I like the store but after i came home i looked online for same filter. They need more helpful service people than 16yr old kid and there prices were $60 over net price.

#4 ·
Never mind...the right side was saltwater and the left was all the freshwater. Supplies are a bit expensive there but the fish are right on price with all the other LFS's. I liked all the fish in this store and thought they were healthy except for the gouramis. I was particularly looking at the gouramis because I plan on buying one of them for my 30 gal once it's cycled. They seemed to have been just sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving much. All the other fish were moving around in the other tanks and seemed healthy like I said so IDK what the deal was.
They also really don't have much of a plant selection but the employees that work there were really knowledgable and seem nice so I may return there for my fish. I haven't stocked my tank yet but I am kind of torn between 2 LFS's right now.

#5 ·
Kind of a change from what I posted above but I heard some reviews on this place from some friends and people I met and they said it isn't that good. Supposedly the owner is a dick and no employee has worked there for over 6 months. They also have a main filtration system, not an individual in tank one.

#6 ·
Hey Zackish, AWC is not all that bad. I love to shop there, because they have a large variety of fish, and lots of plants. The deal is that many people shop there, so the plants go out the door quick. You have to ask the owner when the next shipment is, so that you can come early and have a lot to choose from. The fish are usually healthy. I have not had any problem with their fish so far. If you see sick fish, as usual, stay away from that tank. I've spotted a problem or two there before.
You're wrong about their employees. Some of them have been there for years. The owner is not that bad either. He knows I spend money there, so he greets me and helps me out all the time. He does pressure people to buy stuff sometimes, so compulsive shoppers beware! Give it another go Zack

#7 ·
I'd like to put in my $0.02 about Aquatic Wildlife.

The owner and staff are very friendly, but "knowledgeable" depends on who you're talking to. I overheard one staff member recommending a 10 gallon tank for a STURGEON. I couldn't believe they would sell these fish AT ALL.

Secondly, there are ALWAYS dead and dying fish in the tanks. Every time I go there I am sad to see many many unhealthy fish, and from what I can tell there are no quarantine or medicated tanks in the whole place. I think they just let them die. It is always a sad sight.

Third they have an abundance of dyed fish and tankbusters that they seem to have no ethical qualms in selling.

Fourth all of their equipment is at least double the price you could get the stuff online.

The only good thing about the store is that it looks pretty and has a large variety of stuff. You can probably get just about anything there... but be prepared to pay, and be prepared to have your conscience eating you alive when you see all the sick, dying, and unnaturally altered fish in the store.

#8 ·
As an alternative, try Wet Pets in vernon. All the fish are healthy. It's the only fish store I've been to that has refused to sell me a fish because they weren't completely healthy. I have always been very impressed with the knowledge of the staff at this store.

It is smaller, and admittedly they have very few plants usually, but at this point it's the only place I will buy fish.

#9 ·
Thanks for the tip pedzola. I kindly agree, the place could take better care of their fish. I also agree on modified fish...This week I saw bright neon green and red zebra danios :eek: !!! I was tempted to ask what planet they were from. The other thing that I want to complain about, is overcharging. I have a feeling I've been overcharged there a few times, only because I made large purchases of course (< $150). This week I think I was charged 12.99 for an SAE! I felt something wasn't right when I went through the purchase, and narrowed it down to that. Its funny because 2 weeks ago I paid 3.99 a piece for the same fish (same size). I also bought an Albino BN pleco for 13.99...in January I paid 59 for the same one... What is all this guess work? I like the store but I agree they need to get their act together!

#11 ·
Sounds to me there seems to be a witch hunt going on here with perhaps employees of Wet Pets in Vernon against Aquatic Wildlife. Boys lets play nice. There is enough business for everyone!
I happen to be a regular customer of AW and I've NEVER been disapointed witn any part of this shop. The owner is anything but a "dick"! If you have a chance, stop in and see for yourself!

#12 ·
I personally have good luck at Aquatic Wildlife and Wet Pets. Aquatic I are short staffed. And Wet Pets has amazing staff, corals, fish, and plants, but can be a hair on the more pricey side. I've done special orders through each and have had really good luck with what they both got me. Aquatic is open till 9 most nights so it is convenient for someone who works until 7:30...however just realize that if you shop between the two you can get mixed answers for fish, plants, and corals compatibility in a tank. So do your research.

#13 ·
Great store. The store is the cleanest store out of the Mass and Conn stores I've been. The displays are always clean and presented professionally. I think they have the best displays, although Tropic Isle in Framingham, MA are close. The livestock is variegated. The prices are fair. They have good sales. I think it is the perfect aquarium store. If you haven't been there it is worth the drive.

#17 ·
If I had to vote I would say wet pets all dayy long. Have gotten fish from both and the aquatic wildlife fish just are not as healthy. There is also many dead fish in the AW fish tanks at any time I have visited. Wet pets are always doing water changes and tank maintenance when I go in. Not much in plants at wet pets but I get all my plants from here and fish from wet pets. Animal city is by far the worst! I went in there the other day and they had two like 6"+ plecos in a small ten gallon tank, dead fish everywhere, and all sorts of bloated dying fish. Just my 2cents.

#18 ·
I stopped in at animal city a few weeks ago and was discusted with all the dead fish.They had a whole tank of dead orandas floating around.The employees didnt seem to care,walking by the tank and looking.
I understand that all aquarium stores have fish loss on a regular basis due to the stress of shipping and handleing.I cant really understand why they would leave there tanks in such an awful condition.....

#20 ·
I've been going to all three of these stores for the last year or so. I've seen them all go through some not-so-impressive phases. I've been in animal city and saw plenty of healthy fish (and other animals), but I have also went in and seen lots of dead fish, and lizards with burnt misshapen noses from getting to close to their heat lamps. I dont go there much.

Wet pets seems to have pretty healthy fish and a great selection of supplies. Be careful about the neons though, I was just in there and saw white patches on the bodies of a few neons, Could be ntd, could be something far less serious. I would prefer not to risk it.

I think AW is my favorite. The variety is always impressive and I feel like I see something new every time I go in there. On average the fish I buy from AW and AC both seem to have pretty good survival rates, though I've had my lemons from both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.