The Planted Tank Forum banner

dwarf puffers?

764 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  amcoffeegirl 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience of Dwarf puffers in planted tanks? are they compatible with shrimp, would one be happy in a 5 gallon nano tank? I've heard mixed reviews

#4 ·
Five gallons per dwarf is minimum. Sometimes they can be kept with shrimp, sometimes not, depends on the individual puffer. It's a risk. Have been said to share dwellings with Otos with least amount of problems. Will nip most other fish. Prefer a heavily planted tank with a sand or fine substrate. Just be sure it's an actual dwarf puffer and not a figure 8 or the like.

#6 ·
They are variable. Nice for a while, then they can turn and attack. A friend had some that were as nice as you please for a couple of months and came home to a disaster.

I would keep them in a species tank.
A large enough tank for them to have plenty of room to explore. They are active and curious, and will investigate any changes you make, so plan on adding something or swapping things out often enough to keep the Puffer entertained.

#8 ·
Imo Nerites are too big for them to really mess with. But that's my. 02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.