The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Hybrid Method for Dry Ferts and Excel, no CO2?
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 AM
Planted Member
MadRiverPat's Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post
I ended up using wet's calculator and selecting EI low light/weekly to get my dosing information. Here's what I've been doing:

Dose 1/2 teaspoon (or 2.469 g exactly) Potassium nitrate (KNO3) once a week
Dose 1/16 teaspoon (or 0.277 g exactly) Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) once a week
Dose 1/2 teaspoon (or 3.374 g exactly) Potassium sulfate (K2SO4) once a week
Dose 1/10 teaspoon (or 0.463 g exactly) CSM+B once a week
50% weekly water change, going to start trying every other week
Dose the regular rec amount for Excel every other day during my mid-day light siesta

I had some minor staghorn algae and BBA problems a week or so ago, but I turned off my filter, spot dosed my regular Excel amount on the problem areas with a syringe, and let it sit for 20 minutes before turning the filter back on. The BBA and staghorn was growing on leaves that were leeching nutrients, so I trimmed those off and trimmed the old rotting roots that were the "root" of the problem. Haven't had any signs of algae since.

This dosing regime seems to be working well for my set-up. There are a few plants that aren't quite as happy (rotala macranda, but it's a high light plant and probably wants co2) but otherwise growth on just about all of them has been healthy and faster than I expected.

I do have a very low bioload right now... one guppy, snails, and two Amano shrimp. I'm not sure how adding fish is going to affect the balance in my set-up yet.

Hope that helps you out!
Thanks for getting back to me. The tank is about 3 to 4 months old but I had to move it about 2 months ago and started somewhat over at that point. Just last week I planted it fairly heavily and have been using comprehensive and iron while with excel while waiting on a final decision for how to dose dry ferts. I've got a new set of measuring spoons but am contemplating a cheap scale to make it a bit more exact. I think I am going to start by aiming for somewhere in the 1/3 EI range and adjust from there just as you and Tom have stated. I have what I thought was just diatoms and I know believe is the beginning of bba or hair algae. I'll start spot dosing the excel tomorrow and decide on a fert regiment since I have a feeling the nutrient leeching plants is the cause. They definitely are starving for ferts and the micros in the comprehensive isn't going to cut it for much longer.

I will hopefully find some way to set up a pressurized system but that won't come for another month or so, which means excel will have to do.

I have a decent bioload right now from the congo tetras and cory cats currently inhabiting the tank but hopefully that won't play too significant a role. I have been doing weekly water changes due to the buildup of fish waste in the parts of my tank that the filter won't reach.
MadRiverPat is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome