The Planted Tank Forum banner

dwarf sag - available locally anywhere??

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave-H 
#1 ·
Like the title says: anyone know where I can pick up some dwarf sag around Denver? thanks! :)

#4 ·
I was right near Fish Den so I picked some up. It looks pretty sickly, though - very cheap, too. I think that they have real trouble keeping their plants alive. They are trying to get into the live plant thing (just a few years ago they told everyone that live plants were nearly impossible to keep alive) but they don't seem to be able to keep the plants healthy in their setup.

We'll see if these guys perk up in my tank!!

#5 ·
Dave with proper care they should perk up. Unfortunitly I doant trust any one in town with live plants other then fellow hobbist's. All the LFS cant do squat with Live plants anymore. They try but just dont have anyone that understands what they need. Let us know how they do.

Curt

#6 ·
Thanks Curt :)
I agree with your thoughts.

Here's an idiot question: how do sag's propagate? will they send out runners if they are happy and like my tank?

#8 ·
The HC looks great, like it just came in. The pennywort I didn't see. They have that 3 section tank where the water cascades down - it looks great but I doubt they are caring for the plants well.

You can look at each plant and guess how long it's been there :) Plus, I overhead yet another conversation and they don't seem to have a lot of knowledge about the plants. They are old school!

#12 ·
I'm not sure what to think about this dwarf sag. It looks exactly like it did when I planted it - no growth, no melting, just nothing! I'm starting to wonder if it's made of plastic.

If I can get it to send runners, I'll be thrilled because my goal is to 'grass in' a 24 inch wide background (I have about 5 inches of width to let the sags send runner across.) It sure looks nice, but 5 weeks and not even the slightest change in their condition!

#13 ·
I'm not sure what to think about this dwarf sag. It looks exactly like it did when I planted it - no growth, no melting, just nothing! I'm starting to wonder if it's made of plastic.

If I can get it to send runners, I'll be thrilled because my goal is to 'grass in' a 24 inch wide background (I have about 5 inches of width to let the sags send runner across.) It sure looks nice, but 5 weeks and not even the slightest change in their condition!

It is a slow plant to adapt. once it starts growing it will take a while to get runners going too. You might be able to boot it up a bit by putting some root tabs in the soil right under them. If you need, I have a few capsules of Root Medic root tabs laying around.

#15 ·
Ok, I'll give them a few extra root tabs :)

I had blyxa once in the past and it was really nice! But, without CO2 I'm not sure it will do well in my tank. Plus, I want something really nice and tall(and grassy) for my background!! I really want to get this sag going!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.