The Planted Tank Forum banner

SAPS - Sacramento Aquatic Plants Society

40K views 525 replies 56 participants last post by  Smitty06 
#1 ·
#3 ·
You know I'm in. I'll go sign up!
Fish Planet would be a cool meeting place, if they'll have us. Jonathan (owner) seemed like a nice guy when I spoke to him. The one thing that irks me is when I got home, I noticed that they don't have a fish return policy. Two of the six cardinal tetras I bought there were dead the next day. Still, they were $2.99/ea, compared to $3.99/ea at Capital Aquarium, when they have 'em.

#4 ·
I like Fish Planet as well, but was a little irritated by their multiple pricing policy. They have young dwarf neon rainbows at 3.95 each or 3/$10. I wanted 5, so they told me that I would get 3 for $10, and then the other two would be at $3.95 each. It seems to me that once you hit the 3 fish minimum, the value pricing should kick in on all the fish you buy, and i should have been offered the other two fish at $3.34 each. Even though the difference was less than a buck and a half, I refused to buy them (I'm stubborn like that). It's bad business to have the per unit price go up when you buy additional fish.

Of course its their store, and the pricing is their perogative. I'm still going to shop there. I ended up buying some cherry shrimp.

I'm going to join the Society, but probably can't make the meet-up this time. Hopefully next time.

#5 ·
fishguy, Most places I've seen have that same pricing policy. Capital Aquarium will have fish for $3.99 or two for $7.75, but if you want three fish, its $7.75 + $3.99.

#7 ·
It would definitely have been 6/$20. They suggested I buy another fish to get the deal.

Ringram, I guess I've just been lucky at Capitol, as they've never done that to me.

Not that big a deal, but I still think its wrong that if you buy 5 fish, the per fish price is higher than if you buy 3 fish. Like I said, I'll still shop there.

#9 ·
We're actually pretty lucky in Sacramento to have Capitol, Fish Planet, O Street, and Exotic Aquarium. Now if they only had good plants on a regular basis . . .

I should also give a mention to PetCetera in Davis. Very limited selection, but some of the healthiest fish I've ever seen in that little shop. Haven't been there in while though.

Hopefully with the new plant group we can spread around some nice plants.

#11 ·
My last fish buy at Capital Aquarium was an 8 fish buy, where the sign said 1 for X or 6 for Y. They charged me Y + 2X. I asked them why they did that, and the answer was that it was their price. I hate to admit this, but I still haven't been able to find Exotic Aqarium. I need to print up some flyers and leave them at each of the LFS here.

A bit of news: Tom Barr has joined the group and plans to be at our first meeting, with a presentation. (Providing I can find a powerpoint projector.)

#13 ·
I agree that Pet Cetera in Davis is good. A nice older couple run it and keep real healthy fish in there. Admittedly limited selection, but still good for what it is. I saw cardinal tetras in there before for $1.99/ea and real healthy looking. The Ace Hardware in Davis used to have a good fish section and a real knowledgable guy working it. That was back when I was in college (late 90s) though.
Does anyone know where Exotic Aquarium moved to? I haven't been in there since they were on Florin(South Sac) across from Home Depot. I know they were moving b/c the tanks were starting to look pretty bare and one of the guys told me, but I forgot :)
Fish Planet would be good for me. It's even closer to me than Capital Aq, which is about 10-12 minutes.

-Ryan

#15 ·
Exotic Aquarium moved to Franklin and MLK. Its a huge building, but they didn't have much freshwater stock when I was there last. Tons of empty tanks, so hopefully they are better stocked by now. The neighborhood is a little sketchy (I'd plan a daylight trip). Here's the link to their website with the actual address: http://www.exotic-aquarium.com/ If anyone goes there soon, let us know how they're doing.

Ryan, I bought 9 of those 1.99 Cardinals from Pet Cetera more than 3 years ago, and I still have 8 of them swimming in my tank. Healthiest pet store fish I've ever seen.

#16 ·
Thanks fishguy, I'll go check it out. I'll definately go in the middle of the day. I've been by the Franklin area before and it sketchy overall IMO. I'm looking for a few cardinal tetras, maybe 6 or so. I may have to take a trip to Pet Cetera on Saturday.

#17 ·
I registered at the meeting place.

Also I'm going to venture down to Fish Planet with the family today and check it out. I will probably try to hit that place off Madison that Tom recommended to me awhile back, forget the name of it. Hopefully it's still there.

Jason.

#20 ·
Is AquaWorld that place in Rocklin? There's a guy in SFBAAPS that gave me the card he had from there so I could go check it out. He said it was a pretty nice store. I was planning on going sometime soon.

#22 ·
Aqualife Aquarium is 2 miles from my house. I tend to go there only out of convenience. Everything is crazy expensive and the fish selection is pretty basic and not very healthy. At least on every occasion I have been there.

The place seems to cater more to the Salt Water people.

I Special ordered a 46g gallon bowfront, stand, Eheim Pro and Hammilton 2x96 hood from them 2 years ago because I had more money then brains then. It took
like a month for my Eheim to arrive and you don't even want to know how much I paid for it. I'm Emmbarrased to say actually. But like I said, convenience played a part in it too.

I would not suggest making a special trip from Sac to go there.

#24 ·
We are setup to start at 6:00 p.m., and it seems likely that we will have fewer than 10 people there, so my guess is we will be done by 8:00 p.m. at the latest, probably sooner. You never know how many people may show up at something like this, nor how many of those who do show up will be late.

#26 ·
This Wednesday will be the first meeting of the Sacramento Aquatic Plants Society. It is at 6:00 pm at the Round Table Pizza at Howe and Arden. We will have some giveaways, in addition to the plant swap. Someone will win a one years membership in the Aquatic Gardeners Association (worth $20), and we have some back issues of Planted Aquaria Magazine to give away, plus a couple of back issues of ADA Aquajournals. Now, how can any of us in the Sacramento area fail to show up Wednesday?

#38 ·
Thank you

That was a great meeting last night.

Thanks Hoppy for putting that whole thing together, and thanks to everyone else for providing some great information and some amazing plants! I now have several new species to try out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.