The Planted Tank Forum banner

SFAS vs SFBAAPS

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  KFryman 
#1 ·
hey everyone from the bay area!
so i was thinking about joining one of these two aquarium societies in the san francisco region. i looked on their sites and saw that they were quite similar. i was wondering if anyone who was a member of one or the other or both would be willing to elaborate. i realize that they have auctions but is one more fish oriented and the other more plant oriented?
i think SFAS has a yearly or monthly fee whereas SFBAAPS does not. i just wanted to know what people subjectively think about these two organization as they are the closest to me in terms of meetings/auctions and such.

#4 ·
yeah i have looked on both their pages and im not sure which one would be more tailored to what i like. thats why i posted here, i have seen a few guys or girls who are in one of the two. hopefully they can help me out. i may just end up doing both haha :)

#5 ·
Both are good groups i havent been to a meeting in a long time but still keep in touch. Sfas you can get alot of good equipment buys during the auctions for general fish keeping. Sfbaaps great for plants and plantoreinted equipment plus discounts at afa.

#8 ·
lol i just sent in my SFBAAPS registration list thing. im contemplating joining SFAS. i like the whole talks they give and it is a great place too. my parents used to go there for orchid conventions so im familiar with the area. ill probably apply to that once i can get 20 bucks together from my first legit paycheck at work. even if i dont buy stuff regularly going to talks would be a great way to spend my free time :)
dude i didnt even know allegheny had an aquarium society. i think im too sketched out by it to join. they must specialize in like arctic fishes. like the one that has antifreeze running through its veins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.