Sacramento fish store recommendations? - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LaPine, Oregon
Posts: 605
Sacramento fish store recommendations?

My husband and I are headed down to the Sacramento/Roseville area, as well as Grass Valley, Auburn, and Chico to see family at the end of October. Since my tank will be at the point of setting up by that time, I figured I could get a bunch of plants while I am down there, and possibly some fish. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have been into a few fish shops down there, mainly remembering the one with the giant koi pond you walk over but I also know I was not impressed by their stock or the way they kept their tanks.

Thanks for the input!
Calmia22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 48
Yah that was Capital Aquarium, and they unfortunately closed down. I would recommend Aqua Workz. I dont think they have a ton of plants but they do have a pretty good selection of fish that usually look pretty healthy. Its definitely worth a look if you wanted to shop around.
hassan_ars is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 20,548
Exotic Aquarium may have the best selection of plants, and a very good selection of fish. Capitol Aquarium will be missed - none of the other stores is as enjoyable just to visit, but JoJos is getting there.

Hoppy
Hoppy is online now  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Planted Member
 
Herbicidal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 205
My preference in this order:
  1. Jojo's
  2. Aqua Workz
  3. Exotic Aquatic

155 gallon (low tech) planted (not at the moment, after removing the Eco-Complete) Discus aquarium with 3D AquaTerra background, started in July 2010. EcoComplete substrate is now gone, replaced with sand, Rena XP3 and XP4 for filtration, Catalina 35" T5HO retrofit - 2x39 watt (two units) mounted in overhead canopy. Link to my journal for the 155.
Herbicidal is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Newbie
 
EvinBrojer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: california
Posts: 3
Jojo aquarium has the best plant selection ive seen in Sac. The store is super clean and the guys that work there are nice

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk
EvinBrojer is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 853
Wow capital closed down?? I wonder what happened?
Alyssa is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
antbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
My preference in this order:
  1. Jojo's
  2. Aqua Workz
  3. Exotic Aquatic

I would say
  1. Jojo's
  2. Exotic
  3. Aqua Workz

ADA mini L - ADA 120p
___________________

antbug is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 20,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Wow capital closed down?? I wonder what happened?
From where I sit, it looked like they lost their enthusiasm for the business, started slacking off on tank maintenance, making their fish selections look much worse, which ran off some customers, which reduced their enthusiasm even more, etc. It was like watching a friend die - an exaggeration, but it did feel a little like that.

Hoppy
Hoppy is online now  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
kuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
I would say
  1. Jojo's
  2. Exotic
  3. Aqua Workz
JoJo's is #1 for sure after their recent expansion, especially if you're after plants or monster fish. Exotic is also good, mostly because of the large selection. After that, I'd honestly rather go to one of the nicer Petsmarts for generic fish, or to Crystal Aquarium for African cichlids (actually, if you want cichlids, you should go to Crystal over any of these).

I've been down on Aqua Works for a while, because their fish have signs of hormone treatments. I don't say that lightly - their peacock cichlid tanks have too many small brightly colored up male fish. This doesn't usually happen without hormones, because subdominant males hide their colors to appear female. Their rainbowfish also have way too much color for their size, and they generally show only male colors. Their tank of boesemani rainbows doesn't have a single female in sight, and even small fish have bright male coloration.

I could be wrong, but those are the facts as I see them.

Last edited by kuni; 09-17-2011 at 01:38 AM.
kuni is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 853
Wow, I fall out of the hobby for 5 years and it's like everything is changed and all the places I used to go are totally gone. Very strange. And I was just thinking of popping by there this weekend too.
Alyssa is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post

I've been down on Aqua Works for a while, because their fish have signs of hormone treatments. I don't say that lightly - their peacock cichlid tanks have too many small brightly colored up male fish. This doesn't usually happen without hormones, because subdominant males hide their colors to appear female. Their rainbowfish also have way too much color for their size, and they generally show only male colors. Their tank of boesemani rainbows doesn't have a single female in sight, and even small fish have bright male coloration.

I could be wrong, and I wish I could be more positive. but those are the fact as I see them.
Do hormone treatments fade like the dyes do?

I have to say that I have bred rainbows extensively for a little over a decade, and that I often had deeply colored males (and even the females!) all the time and the main changes during breeding were that the colors got deeper and more vibrant, and the yellow stripe would appear on the front of the humps - but that happened on all of them.

I'd maybe figure that the first generation could have been treated, but I'd have thought that after say ... 6 generations down .... that wouldn't be something that could be in effect and that coloration didn't seem to change no matter how far I bred down from the original stock.

I can't imagine that hormone treatments could last that indefinitely ... but maybe I am wrong? Never really occurred to me to be wary of hormone treated fish when buying back then ... but would have thought if that was the case, the following generations wouldn't be showing the exact same things if it was artificially induced with the foundation breeding stock.
Alyssa is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
kuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Do hormone treatments fade like the dyes do?

I have to say that I have bred rainbows extensively for a little over a decade, and that I often had deeply colored males (and even the females!) all the time and the main changes during breeding were that the colors got deeper and more vibrant, and the yellow stripe would appear on the front of the humps - but that happened on all of them.

I'd maybe figure that the first generation could have been treated, but I'd have thought that after say ... 6 generations down .... that wouldn't be something that could be in effect and that coloration didn't seem to change no matter how far I bred down from the original stock.

I can't imagine that hormone treatments could last that indefinitely ... but maybe I am wrong? Never really occurred to me to be wary of hormone treated fish when buying back then ... but would have thought if that was the case, the following generations wouldn't be showing the exact same things if it was artificially induced with the foundation breeding stock.
Rainbow breeder, eh? Which kinds? I'm interested in getting some more.

The hormones DON'T last indefinitely, which is in fact the problem.

Fish fed 'juiced' food may stop naturally producing their own, which can lead to sterility and loss of color once they're no longer being fed hormone-enhanced foods. Also, hormones can make a male with lackluster genetics look much better than he actually is.

The effect is environmental, though, so unless the hormones sterilize the fish, when they reproduce their offspring will reflect the genetics of the parents, even if the parents were juiced.
kuni is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 853
Oh they all died in my last move ... along with the discus and angels - was so devastating that it kinda drained the joy out if it for me, and then after having 3 houses I was renting foreclosed on us due to landlords not paying their mortgages, I kind of stopped doing tanks at all really.

Just kind of coming back into it now, but still not sure about the breeding - thinking of just trying for a male only tank, but.... I might already miffed that cuz the turquoise I just bought might well be a female, which will mean I'll have to rethink everything. lol

Hmmm - not sure then, I try to only feed tubifex or blood worms or live brine that always seemed to be their favorite thing ... but NOTHING around here seems to carry live brine, and I get sick of hatching my own shrimp unless it's for fry. I'll have to see what's out there - it's possible that I have never seen a hormone treated one, are the colors *that* dramatically different?

But that was in the past - I'll have to see where this takes me again, lol. But lord knows if I ever buy a house I'll be setting up every blasted tank I have I am sure LOL.
Alyssa is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
Rainbow breeder, eh? Which kinds? I'm interested in getting some more
When I was breeding them I tended to go for the reds, blues, and bosemanis, the others had a lot more colors, but they were all much smaller when they were fully adult, and I really rather liked the size of those three when they were fully mature.

They were big, without being TOO big, at least for me.

Only real issue I had with them was they are such voracious egg eaters that they would piss off the angels or discus that were in the same tank, so that I usually had to wind up making breeding tanks to keep everyone happy (and fry to survive! LOL). But when they weren't procreating they all lived happily with each other, lol.
Alyssa is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
kuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Oh they all died in my last move ... along with the discus and angels - was so devastating that it kinda drained the joy out if it for me, and then after having 3 houses I was renting foreclosed on us due to landlords not paying their mortgages, I kind of stopped doing tanks at all really.

Just kind of coming back into it now, but still not sure about the breeding - thinking of just trying for a male only tank, but.... I might already miffed that cuz the turquoise I just bought might well be a female, which will mean I'll have to rethink everything. lol

Hmmm - not sure then, I try to only feed tubifex or blood worms or live brine that always seemed to be their favorite thing ... but NOTHING around here seems to carry live brine, and I get sick of hatching my own shrimp unless it's for fry. I'll have to see what's out there - it's possible that I have never seen a hormone treated one, are the colors *that* dramatically different?

But that was in the past - I'll have to see where this takes me again, lol. But lord knows if I ever buy a house I'll be setting up every blasted tank I have I am sure LOL.
Honestly, hormone treated rainbows aren't that common. Hormone treated cichlids are a much bigger deal, because many female cichlids are a drab grey and males are gorgeous neon reds, blues, and yellows. Lots of money if you juice your fish.

I'll note that if you look at a tank of peacock cichlids at Crystal or Exotic Aquarium, you'll see lots of gray fish and a few colorful dominant males. At Aqua Workz, every peacock cichlid is colorful...

On an unrelated note, I fed my now-deceased colony of M. australis Omega One super color veggie pellets, and the fish got beautiful colors without any sign of the 'obesity' that rainbows sometimes get.
kuni is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome