The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sacramento fish store recommendations?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  kuni 
#1 ·
My husband and I are headed down to the Sacramento/Roseville area, as well as Grass Valley, Auburn, and Chico to see family at the end of October. Since my tank will be at the point of setting up by that time, I figured I could get a bunch of plants while I am down there, and possibly some fish. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have been into a few fish shops down there, mainly remembering the one with the giant koi pond you walk over but I also know I was not impressed by their stock or the way they kept their tanks.

Thanks for the input!

#2 ·
Yah that was Capital Aquarium, and they unfortunately closed down. I would recommend Aqua Workz. I dont think they have a ton of plants but they do have a pretty good selection of fish that usually look pretty healthy. Its definitely worth a look if you wanted to shop around.

#4 ·
My preference in this order:

1. Jojo's
  2. Aqua Workz
  3. Exotic Aquatic

#8 ·
From where I sit, it looked like they lost their enthusiasm for the business, started slacking off on tank maintenance, making their fish selections look much worse, which ran off some customers, which reduced their enthusiasm even more, etc. It was like watching a friend die - an exaggeration, but it did feel a little like that.

#13 ·
Oh they all died in my last move ... along with the discus and angels - was so devastating that it kinda drained the joy out if it for me, and then after having 3 houses I was renting foreclosed on us due to landlords not paying their mortgages, I kind of stopped doing tanks at all really.

Just kind of coming back into it now, but still not sure about the breeding - thinking of just trying for a male only tank, but.... I might already miffed that cuz the turquoise I just bought might well be a female, which will mean I'll have to rethink everything. lol

Hmmm - not sure then, I try to only feed tubifex or blood worms or live brine that always seemed to be their favorite thing ... but NOTHING around here seems to carry live brine, and I get sick of hatching my own shrimp unless it's for fry. I'll have to see what's out there - it's possible that I have never seen a hormone treated one, are the colors *that* dramatically different?

But that was in the past - I'll have to see where this takes me again, lol. But lord knows if I ever buy a house I'll be setting up every blasted tank I have I am sure LOL.

#15 ·
Honestly, hormone treated rainbows aren't that common. Hormone treated cichlids are a much bigger deal, because many female cichlids are a drab grey and males are gorgeous neon reds, blues, and yellows. Lots of money if you juice your fish.

I'll note that if you look at a tank of peacock cichlids at Crystal or Exotic Aquarium, you'll see lots of gray fish and a few colorful dominant males. At Aqua Workz, every peacock cichlid is colorful...

On an unrelated note, I fed my now-deceased colony of M. australis Omega One super color veggie pellets, and the fish got beautiful colors without any sign of the 'obesity' that rainbows sometimes get.

#16 ·
Obese rainbows? lol - is that really even possible?

I think the only fish I've had that got obese was an extremely deformed gold severum that I took pity on and bought for 10 cents - and that was because his spine curled over like a wave and so he couldn't swim very well lol.

Although, no, wait, Ive had kuhli loaches get SO fat that I was sure they were going to explode lol so I guess I have seen that now that I think about it, lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.