The Planted Tank Forum banner

Activity

69K views 885 replies 67 participants last post by  GMYukonon24s 
#1 ·
Hello All, My name is John, and I'm kind of curious as to where most of the members here, in the Michigan subsection are. As well as what we're doing.

I'll start us all off.

I live in Birch Run, at the southern end of the tri-city area.

I currently have 3 tanks running, Oscar in a 55G, problem JD in a 15G, and a peaceful community tank of guppies and ghost shrimp in a 29G

I work at a place called the Goalpost here, we do pizza.

I'd love to hear where all of you are from, and what you've been up to.

#631 ·
Look at your tanks, 1/4 inch should be fine for anything under 18 inches tall I think.
My 18 gallon has 1/4 inch glass, I think my 55s are 1/2, and my 110 is 5/8s.

Blackheart, looked up the brand on facebook, looks like a guy in his "shop" but his tanks look just like my 55s.

#633 ·
I've never bought an aquarium but I went to Great Lakes Aquariums since it was like 5 minutes from my work. I picked up silicone and they answered my questions for me resealing my tank.

#634 ·
I vote if reasonable on price, and if it looks fine to your eye go for it.
Can't hurt to ask if they have a client portfolio, or even if they have a tank on display.
Best of luck with it.

Yukon, glad someone gave you some answers, what size tank are you resealing?

Considering buying up some plants and breeder level guppies/ cories.

#636 ·
You can also ask them about a warranty especially on the seal. I have seen a number of start up aquarium makers have issues with seals including great lakes aquarium. Several years in people start getting leaks. AFAIK great lakes aquarium was willing to reseal or replace the tanks for people. Every aquarium maker will have a random job go bad and the seal will leak some just have it happen less than other and some support the problem and fix it.

#637 ·
Nah. I'm really frustrated at this point at my wits end. There's only a 2 inch difference in height between this tank and the Aqueon 55 gallon, which is 50 dollars cheaper than the Top fin branded tank I purchased so that's the tank I'm going with.

I'd really like to have a 50 gallon tank, but I'm just done fighting with it now. At least it didn't cost me so much for the setup. 180 bucks for the 55 and the stand. And with selling my 75 a couple weeks ago for 150, I didn't pay much more for this setup so that's good in my books.

#639 · (Edited)
Yeah I decided. Sticking with the Aqueon 55. At least I know their dependable tanks and I've never had an issue with them. I could tell an immediate difference as well in how much heavier the Aqueon tank was compared to the Top Fin since Aqueon uses really thick glass.

Speaking of my 55... I purchased a stand today at Kee's on van ****... Really digging it. I'm really liking this setup. Only cost me 200 bucks. The stand was actually 200, but my father chipped in cause I'm spoiled lol And the tank was only 100. Used is normally cheaper, but I swear there's nothing better than a nice, new, beautiful tank.

My 55 setup...

#641 · (Edited)
No it's about changing my mind lol I already had my mind made up originally! But I had to alter my plans when I kept getting crappy tank after crappy tank... I don't want to have to pay all that for a tank only for it possibly to break or leak six months down the line. At least with the Aqueon I know I'm getting a quality tank :)

the only difference between my 55 and the other tank is the 50 was shorter which I really liked. Now with the stand I purchased, with the tank fitting into those grooves instead of the top of the tank, it actually sits at the height I like :)

I already filled it up and it looked good. I probably won't be setting it up til a bit later when it starts getting warm out and staying that way.

Not sure what to stock it with though... I really like Columbian Tetras though. I also like Denison Barbs a lot but I'm not sure that will be enough room for a small school of them.

#643 ·
Thanks :) Yeah once I get closer to setting it up I will start up a journal.

I will more than likely be using an Aquaclear 70 that I got awhile back. My tank is going to be lightly stocked so that should be enough filtration. I'm still debating on the lighting but Lowes has a 48 inch T8 shop light fixture for 30 bucks. Kinda hard to pass up and it uses two 32 watt bulbs.

#644 ·
Anyone have experience with Great Lakes Aquariums?

I'm looking into either their 135 Xwide:
48 1/4
30 1/8"
22 1/4
or
160 Xwide
48 1/4
30 1/8"
26 1/4

Their prices are incredibly reasonable, and their stands aren't a bad price too. Plus you can't beat a company that sells a beautiful 36" high stand (hard to find) for $290.

Any good or bad things heard about them? That 160 xwide has some stunning dimensions on it. 30" of depth, I could have a LOT of fun with that.

#645 ·
My only local brand is Aquatic America, and I like them, they are what we sell in the store.
My 110 is Modern Aquarium, out of saginaw.

With any box holding water, you will eventually find a bad one.
Aqueon, Tetra, Marineland all make tons of tanks, and by volume few are bad, but they happen.

If a local business loses 1 out of 1000 tanks, that's a much bigger hit than if tetra runs a bad batch of 500.
Personally I would love to support only local companies, but cash limits everyone sometimes.

As for local made tanks, get your local hobbyists, clubs or even your LFS opinion on them. Look for the oldest wisest member of said group, as they will have seen more come and go than most.

#647 ·
Try the Michigan reefers forums for feedback on great lakes aquarium. I haven't personally used them but I know many there have or have heard of people using them. I have been to their store and looked into buying stuff from them a while back but I became busy and could not find space.

#648 ·
That website can also be a good info dig as well.

I vote that you get what you can afford, what you like and what makes you comfortable.
This is how I select my aquariums, they have to have aesthetics, and be of good condition.

I had one tetra tank and one aqueon tank that leaked, both 10 gallon, both seal tested and returned.
And a 5.5 gallon tetra that tore a seal after 6 months.

Tetra does seem to be the low end.

I have officially begun attempts at breeding!

#651 ·
I vote that you get what you can afford, what you like and what makes you comfortable.
This is how I select my aquariums, they have to have aesthetics, and be of good condition.
Good advice. Speaking of which... I'm thinking about purchasing the wooden canopy to match my stand but not really sure if it's worth it considering it's 140 dollars.

#652 ·
TBH Blackheart, I have a canopy on my SW tank. While it looks beautiful, and we now have a great system to raise/lower it by, it is a PITA for tank maintenance (well prior to the new ratchets hanging from the ceiling).

Thats what we did two months ago after getting sick of trying to do tank maintenance with a canopy. You can raise it and lower it with one person. Works like a charm.

#654 ·
Update time.

Tank list.

55 community tank, gold rams an odd angel, mixed tetras cories, and a soon to be booted pleco.
55 community tank, guppies hundreds, orange poso's, cories, ottos.
40 b community, kuhlis, gold kuhlis, black kuhlis, neons, rubberlip, nerites.
29 gallon, blue delta breeding trio.
29 gallon, tbd
7.5 gallon tbd
3 gallon bowl betta sorority
4x 1 gallon betta bowls
2 gallon bowl mystery snail and betta tank.

Hoping to dedicate time and energy into a breeding rig for rams, and possibly apistogrammas.
Considering dropping bettas in favor of time and space for said breeding.

Looking into shrimp again as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.