The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY Bio reactor (Cerges design)

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ahlian 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I built a Cerges reactor for Co2 but ended up not using it for that purpose (at least for now) so I decided about 6 months ago to try and use it for a bio reactor.

I connected the reactor to the return line of my Fluval 206. Since I had a T plumbed into the reactor I added an air pump figuring this would dissolve more oxygen into the tank allowing a better growth of bacteria. This also had an unexpected side effect, the pressure from the air pump created a large pocket of air where the the water trickles through the scrubs I pulled apart, not unlike a wet/dry filter. There is also a some sponge and bio-media on the bottom.

I wanted to get the forums opinion if my thinking is correct on this. I'm new to this kind of thing, so I figured I'd ask the experts. Also, I have a concern if this is taxing my canisters pump. The flow seems to be just as good as it ever has been and I can't hear any extra noise from the pump.

I added some pics of it up and running. Excuse the filthiness of the reactor and my cabinet, both need to be cleaned :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone have comments on this?

I'm thinking about gluing some screen or sponge over the water intake to disperse the incoming water more evenly over the scrubbies inside, giving a better wet/dry type of filtration. Also thinking of filling this with bio-balls instead of the scrubbies, since they would mostly be out of water.

#4 · (Edited)
Basically, it's what I had laying around. Seachem matrix, foam from a decommissioned sponge filter, and some scrubbies I tore apart (thinking they'd make a good media for water flowing through the air pocket). The scrubbies seem to work to an extent since I find waste built up when I clean them. I'm thinking of replacing them with the bio-balls you'd find in a wet/dry with the idea they'll provide more surface area for bacterial growth, since they'll be packed tighter.

#5 ·
Quick Cerges question:

Howdy Guys,

I have a question with regards to flow direction (before I put finishing touches).

To be sure: The flow (from the pump/filter) enters the top of the housing. It then travels to the bottom. Water enters the riser (PVC pipe) from the bottom and flows upward and exits the top of the housing.

Reason I ask, it seems that I remember posts (can't remember if it was here or another website) where DIYers plumbed it the opposite way.

Thanks!

G

#6 ·
Howdy Guys,

I have a question with regards to flow direction (before I put finishing touches).

To be sure: The flow (from the pump/filter) enters the top of the housing. It then travels to the bottom. Water enters the riser (PVC pipe) from the bottom and flows upward and exits the top of the housing.

Reason I ask, it seems that I remember posts (can't remember if it was here or another website) where DIYers plumbed it the opposite way.

Thanks!

G
That's how mine works. The output of my filter runs into the reactor, flows down and is sucked up by the pvc plumbed into the output. I can see how it might work the other way as well, and maybe even give a more even flow into the media. I just learned about the cerges design this way. I'm also not sure if there's any restriction on the housing working the other way, but I can't think of why there would be.

The way these things are built. I could just turn it around, with the exception of the t-piece that allows the air to enter the chamber. I'd have to re-plumb the other side to accomplish the same thing at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.