The Planted Tank Forum banner

Peter's Low-Tech Mini-M - Work Distraction!

49K views 169 replies 60 participants last post by  frrok 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, this is my 5.5g desk tank. It's going to be low-tech. I am going to dry-start HC and Glosso that I got from Pirayaman.

Equipment is:

Lighting: Finnex FugeRay 16"
Filter: Aquaclear 20 w./ Purigen
Substrate: MGOPS mixed with Greensand capped w./ Ecocomplete
Ferts: Will dose with Excel and dry ferts
Heater: 25 watt Hydor 7" heater

This is the tank empty, and my bamboo plant.

Great piece of driftwood found at Giant Aquarium in Philly, with great help from a guy there named Troy.

Fugeray with moonlight and regular LED's on.

With just the moonlights on.

ADA logo with wood background. Thought it looked cool.

MGOPS put in.

Eco cap put in.

Placing the driftwood.

Angle shot.

Driftwood in place with lights on.

Tank shot.

See less See more
#89 · (Edited)
Weekly update. Still need something to fill in the left side and the background a bit more. Hydro sp. Japan is growing very well, which I am excited about! Been getting at least 1 new node a week and trimming that off and re-planting. Hopefully eventually it will carpet pretty well. The cherry shrimps are getting a little bigger too. I have a couple that are super red. I'm not sure if they are the high-grade fire red.

FTS during water change

High Grade Fire Red?

#91 ·
nice tank! did the HC change / lose leaves from going dry start to flooding the tank? It seems like it filled in nicely, just debating if that gives it a better start to root and doesn't end up losing all the leaves when you flood it then maybe I'll try that... of course my HC is already in my 55 so maybe that's not a good idea since it might lose leaves going from under water to dry... but its been in my 55 for a while and hasn't been spreading at all... I figured due to fish messing with it though, and because I didn't plant individual plants I did pieces of the pot it came in spread around in a few areas bunched together to hold it together better...

#92 ·
nice tank! did the HC change / lose leaves from going dry start to flooding the tank? It seems like it filled in nicely, just debating if that gives it a better start to root and doesn't end up losing all the leaves when you flood it
In hindsight, I should have waited a bit longer to see if it would recover from the initial algae bloom that was my own fault. I noticed that the leaves did get a bit smaller and the patches I had did not look as "full" when flooded compared to during the DSM period. But I did not lose leaves, at least not many at all. Doing the DSM definitely allowed the HC to send down roots and get them established.

then maybe I'll try that... of course my HC is already in my 55 so maybe that's not a good idea since it might lose leaves going from under water to dry...
I don't think that is true. You will probably lose some leaves or have some dead looking patches initially going from submerged to DSM, but they should bounce back even stronger while the DSM is going on.

but its been in my 55 for a while and hasn't been spreading at all... I figured due to fish messing with it though, and because I didn't plant individual plants I did pieces of the pot it came in spread around in a few areas bunched together to hold it together better...
The more patience you have to plant as individual as possible, the better. More chance for them to spread out. This is probably true for most carpeting/foreground plants.

#93 ·
OK thanks for the tips, I will probably drain the tank when I get ready to plant it that way just the soil is wet so I don't make such a big mess with the potting soil floating all over the place... not sure if I'll go DSM or not, but may keep the water level pretty low still until I get ready to move it to work / add fish in...

#101 · (Edited)
Usual Friday update...added a SS mesh at the filter intake because I got tired of clogged sponges and cleaning it weekly. I just superglued it to the AC20 intake. I also added a couple of bunches of green myrio that I got from my LFS in Brooklyn. It is a wonderful, frilly, versatile plant that does NOT need CO2 to thrive. I'm not sure why I don't see it more often. Sometimes this same LFS has red myrio, but they only had green at the time, so I went with it. I think it is perfect to fill in the dead space in the tank. And the shrimp love grazing in it too! Eventually, it will grow taller and fill in a lot more, especially in the background. That SS mesh is sort of an eyesore.

I also read Jake's review of the Aquatop Nano Type-P LED light and pulled the trigger and got it. It is going to be delivered Monday, so I will mount it on Tuesday. With it, the light can be uniformly over the whole tank, instead of my 16" Fugeray lighting only the front 1/3 of the tank due to my AC20 hanging on the side. I am excited to try it out, and will update on what I think.

Tank partially drained (I really like this look):

Tank full:

#102 ·
Usual Friday update...added a SS mesh at the filter intake because I got tired of clogged sponges and cleaning it weekly. I just superglued it to the AC20 intake. I also added a couple of bunches of green myrio that I got from my LFS in Brooklyn. It is a wonderful, frilly, versatile plant that does NOT need CO2 to thrive. I'm not sure why I don't see it more often. Sometimes this same LFS has red myrio, but they only had green at the time, so I went with it. I think it is perfect to fill in the dead space in the tank. And the shrimp love grazing in it too! Eventually, it will grow taller and fill in a lot more, especially in the background. That SS mesh is sort of an eyesore.

I also read Jake's review of the Aquatop Nano Type-P LED light and pulled the trigger and got it. It is going to be delivered Monday, so I will mount it on Tuesday. With it, the light can be uniformly over the whole tank, instead of my 16" Fugeray lighting only the front 1/3 of the tank due to my AC20 hanging on the side. I am excited to try it out, and will update on what I think.

Tank partially drained (I really like this look):

Tank full:

Awesome! Be nice to see with the new light!

#103 · (Edited)
So I got the Aquatop in yesterday and mounted it on the tank. Initial impression is that it is pretty bright, but not as much light coverage as my 16" Fugeray, especially on the sides of the tank. Then again, the Aquatop is a much smaller, shorter footprint. It is definitely a sleek fixture. The tank definitely looks a lot more open now, so I am pretty pleased with it. Now for some pics!

#105 ·
So I got the Aquatop in yesterday and mounted it on the tank. Initial impression is that it is pretty bright, but not as much light coverage as my 16" Fugeray, especially on the sides of the tank. Then again, the Aquatop is a much smaller, shorter footprint. It is definitely a sleek fixture. The tank definitely looks a lot more open now, so I am pretty pleased with it. Now for some pics!
Loving the new light!

Does your desk have overhead cabinets?

Based off of what Jake said in his review thread, could you suspend the light from there with something? Would look neat as a hanging pendant :)

#108 · (Edited)
Some more pictures of the same ol' stuff. The Aquatop Nano Type-P light is working pretty good. It's so much better and convenient to have the top of the tank open up.

Here's some pics of my desk overall. I'm the first cubicle facing a hallway, so I have a lot of foot traffic go by my cube. A lot of interested co-workers who like to stop by and take a look at the tank, but that also means I can't space out without getting caught! :(

I think one day, when I have the courage (drunk Christmas party perhaps? lol), I will try and convince the CEO to let me set up a tank in our lobby. We have a nice, cozy lobby with modern chairs and tables, floor to ceiling glass windows to allow in plenty of natural light, and it would be a perfect place for a tank.

#109 ·
Some more pictures of the same ol' stuff. The Aquatop Nano Type-P light is working pretty good. It's so much better and convenient to have the top of the tank open up.

Here's some pics of my desk overall. I'm the first cubicle facing a hallway, so I have a lot of foot traffic go by my cube. A lot of interested co-workers who like to stop by and take a look at the tank, but that also means I can't space out without getting caught! :(

I think one day, when I have the courage (drunk Christmas party perhaps? lol), I will try and convince the CEO to let me set up a tank in our lobby. We have a nice, cozy lobby with modern chairs and tables, floor to ceiling glass windows to allow in plenty of natural light, and it would be a perfect place for a tank.
That'd be awesome.

Man I'm jealous of your setup. I need to get an office tank going!

#111 ·
Thanks! I'm leaving the filter on the side so that I can get flow across the length of the tank. Moss is growling in and I have been trimming and re-planting myrio. It's going to be pretty full soon. I have the Nymphoides in my 20g at home. If I get any offshoots from it, I can send some your way.

#113 ·
Peter, I've been reading planted tank journals for a couple of days now to see what people have been using, and what people had success and failure with. Just wanna say that your journal keeps popping up in my searches and I read it all the time.

If you could go back to the beginning and use either light, which one would you get? I can't find many journals with people using the standard fugeray on a mini m or similar sized tank. I'd like to do some driftwood covered in moss (or fissidens) and anubias. Eco complete and light dosing, no co2. Which light of the 2 (aquatop or finnex) would you suggest? I'm doing a standard 16" 5.5 aqueon tank. Right now Its got a 2x14w coralife t5no fixture with a lot of overhang. If I went with the finnex it'd be the planted+ (might as well right?)

This is going to be a betta tank for now, once he passes on I'll do shrimp and cpd or micro rasboras. I'm gonna do a black background.

I'd kill for a tank at work. I deliver pizzas though, so that ain't gonna happen LOL.

#118 ·
It's definitely relaxing to glance at it or space out at it from time to time. Certainly helps to melt away the stress from everyday work bs!

i really like the look of the anubias. nice job!
Thanks! Hardscape nooks and anubias go hand in hand.

#124 ·
Gorgeous! I really need to find a nice piece of driftwood like that for my little Fluval Spec tank... and then a bigger one for the Fluval Edge I plan to pick up soon!

That moss looks amazing growing on the wood. Did you ever find another source for it? I'd like to add some to my tank and see how it does. :)

#126 ·
Thanks Jonny! The fugeray is a great light. All the plants did well with it. The marsilea minuta as my carpet crept slowly, but that's how it is in general. If the light was not as good, I think it would have not spread and just be stagnant. I would say the fugeray is on the high end of low light, or low end of medium light due to the height of the Mini-M (~10"). If you add inches to the substrate, making the carpet and plants closer to the light, then it would probably be medium light. Probably the sweet spot to start going with CO2. If you want really high light, consider the 16" Ray2 or Planted+ IMO.

#127 · (Edited)
Hey Peter, I have a quick question for ya.

First of all, your tank is absolutely stunning. Really like the way its progressed throughout the thread.

I started up a emersed tank set up a week ago with HC Cuba. It started off really well for about 5 days with quite a bit of growth already, but then leaves started to go brown on some parts and now its starting to die.

So my question is, how long did you keep your light on during the emersed period? Mine is on from 8am to around 11pm. Is that too much? I know the light itself is good for it, because the aquascaping store I got it at used it for all their similar tanks for planting HC and other such plants. The substrate is also considered great and it came with a lot of nutrients with the water in its massive bag. I've attached two pictures for you to see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Or are the plants just switching from submersed to emersed and going through the melting phase? So confused :(

All plants

Plants area that's starting to 'die'

Other sections are still fine (this the plant in the back)

Cheers :)

#128 ·
Hi Haris, thanks for the feedback! I left my lights on for I think 12 hours - 8am - 8pm. Fourteen hours seems a bit much. Maybe scale it back down to 10-12 hours. I am not sure why you are getting some brown patches. The HC that I got came from a CO2 tank also, so I don't think it is due to any transitioning. Maybe your photoperiod is too long; the brown patches look to be directly underneath the light. Also, look very closely and make sure you don't have any mold or fungus growing on the patches. You should also post your question in the Plants sub-forum for more input.

#129 · (Edited)
So I scored a leaky 2211 with all media locally for $15 and fixed the leak with some silicone and crazy glue. It is a big upgrade in terms of turnover rate and filter area over the AC20. Plus, I can stash it behind the tank and get rid of the HOB, which had begun to be an eyesore lately. And I know I am getting a Violet Lily Pipe for Christmas, so it is perfect! I might put the Fugeray back on after I get rid of the AC20 just to see how it looks for a while.

Also, I had not trimmed my tank or changed water or dosed any Excel or ferts since before Thanksgiving because work has been so busy (end of year is always hectic). I had just been doing topoffs with straight up tap water for the past 4 weeks. Even with my neglect, the plants grew along real well and it turned into a jungle. It is good to know that the plants are versatile and don't need too much micro-managing.

2211 compared to Mini-M

Got some plumbing to do! Anything is possible with enough barb fittings!

Pretty tight space for all the tubing and valves to fit:

#130 ·
Nice find! Did you run the filter with those fittings yet?

I used those on my tank (well the plastic version). I found out those are for pex tubing and the barbs don't seal as well for the vinyl tubing we use. In turn some of my elbows leaked until I used hose clamps and zip ties.

I don't know if you will have the same problems as I did as you are using brass. Just wanted to let you know, you don't want to be responsible for flooding the office :D

#131 ·
These brass ones fit snugly around the stock Eheim tubing and don't leak any water. I am satisfied with them. But I went out and got some length of braided hose and these barbs do NOT fit them. I would have had to use zip ties, and even then it would still be leaky at best. I was disappointed because with the braided hose, it's more flxible and I could have had the filter under the tank, on the floor, which is safer (never want water above any electrical stuff!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.