The Planted Tank Forum banner

Re-doing My Fluval Spec II

5K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Padded Wall 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

After having all of my shrimp die out a while back, I decided it was time to tear down my Fluval Spec and start over.

I bought a new bag of eco-complete, scrubbed all the algae off the tank, emptied the water, boiled the wood and rinsed off the plants, so now it's time to rescape.

So far all I have in the tank is the wood, but I have the choice between eco-complete or ADA Amazonia for my substrate, and some vals, java ferns, java moss, anubias nana, swords, and some sort of stem plant for my plants, although I can buy more.

I'll be posting my progress in this thread, and asking for advice.

Here's a pic of the tank:

So my questions are: What substrate should I use?
Any ideas at all on the plants? I'm completely stumped.
What do you think of the hardscape?

See less See more
#35 ·
Thank you! The hairgrass has really grown, and I'm about 2 weeks into my cycle. I'm happy with my diffuser and I expect this will deal with some of my algae problems.

As of now my parameters are:
ph:5.5
kh:2-3
gh:~6
Nitrites and nitrates are maxed out on my test chart (I did a 50% water change but I didn't test afterwards)
Ammonia: 0-.6
TDS: a ridiculously high 304 (with RO water) but I believe this is just due to the cycling (super high nitrates and nitrites) as well as the co2 which I will stop before adding my shrimp. Also I may have added too much gh booster.

It appears as though the rock isn't drastically raising my kh or gh, so it looks like I should be able to get some CRS down the line.

Any comments or helpful tips are more than welcome as this is my first CRS tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.