The Planted Tank Forum banner

Where are you in Alabama?

Alabama Aquarist Census

25K views 117 replies 54 participants last post by  WarDamnEagle 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of club-hunting posts here, so just to make things simple, post your county and answer the poll so we can get an idea of the aquarist population on this forum.

Remember: you only need three or four people and a meeting place to start a club.

Here's a county map for easy reference:

I'm in Coffee County.

See less See more
#16 ·
I'm always interested in local trading of fish and plants.

Hey Fishly, I used to live in and have family in Andalusia. I still come down there maybe once every couple of months to visit. Where at in Coffee Co. are you?

I usually have plenty of water sprite and water wisteria every couple months to give or trade away. I also have water lettuce in my pond and a little in my tank. Water lettuce grows really fast!!!

#18 ·
I'm always interested in local trading of fish and plants.

Hey Fishly, I used to live in and have family in Andalusia. I still come down there maybe once every couple of months to visit. Where at in Coffee Co. are you?

I usually have plenty of water sprite and water wisteria every couple months to give or trade away. I also have water lettuce in my pond and a little in my tank. Water lettuce grows really fast!!!
Check your PM box. :proud:

New here, so not quite a member, really...

I'm in Auburn, AL... just for school right now... I live permanently in Mississippi...

I was hoping y'all could give me some tips. I'd love to try a 10g planted tank next semester. Just knowing where the local pet stores are would be nice. I know of Petco (ew) and Petz Unleashed; all the listings on Yellowpages were closed :(
Welcome to the forum! You're a member as soon as you register, so don't be afraid to join in.

When I want to know where a local pet store is, I usually go to one of the chain stores and then ask them if there is another pet store nearby. It works best if you ask them for help finding something, then when they don't have it, you ask if there are any other stores that might.

Most pet stores don't have a good supply of plants, so buying off the SnS (Swap and Shop) here will give you a wider selection and much better prices. Shipping can be pretty steep, but if you make a big order, it's worth it.

#17 ·

I'm in Auburn, AL... just for school right now... I live permanently in Mississippi...

I was hoping y'all could give me some tips. I'd love to try a 10g planted tank next semester. Just knowing where the local pet stores are would be nice. I know of Petco (ew) and Petz Unleashed; all the listings on Yellowpages were closed :(

#19 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by SarahN View Post

I was hoping y'all could give me some tips. I'd love to try a 10g planted tank next semester. Just knowing where the local pet stores are would be nice. I know of Petco (ew) and Petz Unleashed; all the listings on Yellowpages were closed
I'm also in Auburn. I get my plants from Petz Unleashed. The owner is really nice and is usually able to get whatever you might need.

#32 ·
Well I'm pretty busy with vet school, but depending on when it was, I'd be interested. I don't really know anyone else around here that is really into planted aquariums, at least not to the extent that I am. Just out of curiosity, what tanks does everyone have? High tech, low tech, somewhere in between?

#33 ·
I have a low tech/non CO2 55 gallon. It's planted heavily with low/medium light plants. I run T-5NO lighting, eco-complete with root tabs, seachem flourish, iron, and pottasium. I have a ton of RCS, some neons, rasboras, oto's, panda garras, amano shrimp, albino bristle nose pleco, and endler livebearer's.

I have a aqueon evolve 4 gallon that's waiting to be set up. Also, a small garden pond (200 gallon) with waterfall that has anacharis, water lily, water lettuce, water hycianth, umbrella plant, star grass, arrowhead, spike rush. I have three shubunkin's, a ton of snails, and some frogs that made home there.

#34 ·
I've got a 30 gal. T5HO 2x39W, pressurized CO2 2-3bps, Flourish Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, Complete, and I'm about to give Iron a try. 24 harlequin rasboras, 6 otos, 2 julii cories, 5 amano shrimp. I'm still waiting on a few plants which should come in this week, but here's the final list: Alternanthera reineckii, Anubias barteri var. nana, Bacopa monnieri, Cabomba caroliniana, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Cryptocoryne pontederifolia, Didiplis diandra, Echinodorus tenellus, Echinodorus vesuvius, Glossostigma ellantinoides, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Hygrophila difformis, Limnophila indica, Ludwigia arcuata, Ludwigia peruensis, Ludwigia repens, Mayaca fluviatilis, Pogostemon erectus, Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala sp. 'nanjenshan', Rotala wallichii. For those who are counting, that's 23 species. Yes, my tank is heavily planted... lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.