The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - my 10gal crayfish desk tank
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
my 10gal crayfish desk tank

I have this wonderful heavy duty computer table & hutch that allows me to feature a 10gal tank at the same eye level as my computer screen. so instead of doing a traditional planted tank, I thought I'd have a little fun. I stocked this tank with a pair of Australian yabbie crayfish FF, and a pair of Florida flag fish MM. the crayfish keep a safe distance from each other, and no limbs are missing, so that means they are getting along as well as crayfish can. the flags are inseparable buddies I exiled from my main tank for pulling on my fine root foreground too much. I call the two flags Heckle&Jeckle as they are like two crows who seem to take pleasure in harassing my crayfish into snapping at them, but of course the flags always get away in time. notice the slate at the far ends of the tank that are propped up with a fat rock. what the crayfish do is dig the fine gravel out from under the slate, and dump it in the center rock bed - it's very entertaining to watch.

about once a Month I take all the fine gravel they've excavated from under the slate, and bury it all over again as it keeps them busy on other things besides tearing off each others limbs, or chopping up those plants. as for the plants, they are mostly extra cuttings from my main tank I bind with plant weights and simply let settle in the center. since I'm always pruning my main tank this 10gal gets a fresh supply of plant stems that I simply dispose once they get chewed up. crayfish like to "rearrange the furniture" of a tank, so the not rooted plants in the center seem to change orientation almost daily, which in itself has it's own kind of charm. while this tank won't win any awards, it makes me smile, and i hope you get a kick out of it too

no Co2, a few snails, tank is see thru into my den. i purposely put the filter on the corner long 20" end, instead of far short 10" end, in order to make half the tank with strong water-flow for play, while the other half is calm to relax. lighting is a 30watt spiral 6500k and cone reflector in an old architectural hood lamp. 50% water change every 2 weeks, wipe spot algae off the glass every 2 months.
Myspace Video of Crayfish Digging Gravel

Last edited by spypet; 02-08-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: new photo host
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome