The Planted Tank Forum banner

SouthernCichlids' "Limbs of a Reaper" 40b switch initiated!

13K views 93 replies 18 participants last post by  SouthernCichlids 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm finally moved into my new place and with a new place, come a bigger/better tank! The switch to my 40b started on page 3 I believe, maybe page 4. Critique is always welcome!

Equipment
Aqueon 40 breeder
Petco Brooklyn stand (to be covered in MDF to resemble an ADA stand)
Eheim 2217 and 2213
Hydor in-line 200w heater
Buildmyled.com 36" freshwater planted tank LED fixture
MGOCPM capped with a mixture of Flourite black sand and Black Diamond

Hardscape
Ryuoh stone

Flora
Crypt nurii
Crypt nurii 'pahang mutated'
Crypt parva
Crypt petchii
Crypt wendtii 'Green Gecko"
Crypt wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Crypt wendtii 'De Witt Red'
Crypt wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Hygro kompacta
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Ludwigia 'Atlantis'
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia inclinata 'Cuba'

Fauna
23 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
3 LF BNs
14 Aspidoras alabater
2 Baby wild cross angels

Inverts
N/A

Dosing and Co2
Modified EI dosing
Pfertz root tabs
50% water change once a week
Pressurized co2 (5lb tank with GLA regulator)

See less See more
#71 ·
I like the layout...good job.
Thanks guys! It's come a long way since that last picture, had to add some stems for the extra nutrients. I've got downoi, L. repens x arcuata, R. rotundifolia and hygro compacta at the moment, they are growing on me so a few may find a permanent home in this scape. Camera is on the way back from CA so I'll update soon.

Phil, I'm in Greensboro, about 2 hours from Charlotte. I try to make it down that way once a year for some coasters at Carowinds :)

#74 ·
Thanks bud! It's pretty much completely stocked now, here is my current stock (the angels are in here as a grow-out but they might stay if they do well)
23 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
3 LF BNs
14 Aspidoras alabater
2 Baby wild cross angels

You can never have a enough Cory cats!
Added 14 Aspidoras cats today! :)

#79 ·
LOOKING GREAT!!!

REALLY LIKE THE LAYOUT TOO!!!

Can't wait to see it fill in further!

Keep up the good work!
Drew

#80 ·
Welp, switched up the plants last night. S. repens 049 has taken over the middle :)

Now, a dilemma.

Do I pull all/most of the giant spirialis? The right side is the problematic side for me. I have lots of C. nurii over there and it is definitely staying (might even get more if I pull the C. spirialis)

#82 ·
Welp, switched up the plants last night. S. repens 049 has taken over the middle :)

Now, a dilemma.

Do I pull all/most of the giant spirialis? The right side is the problematic side for me. I have lots of C. nurii over there and it is definitely staying (might even get more if I pull the C. spirialis)

I have an idea. Pull out what you don't want of the spirals & I'll trade you for some L. Aromatica if you want some. Mine is growing like crazy & is getting huge. Can cut down & plant shorter stems as many root shoots are there. That's what I've been having to do to keep it from growing out of my tank (24" high).

I took a cell phone FTS this morning (cleaned last night) and my blyxa kimberly is over 40-45 inch long !!!

#83 ·
Planning on filling in the back left with pantanal and the crypts over there are of the extra large variety and should be getting quite large in the next few weeks. I think the spirialis might just have to go. Most of it, anyways.

I have an idea. Pull out what you don't want of the spirals & I'll trade you for some L. Aromatica if you want some. Mine is growing like crazy & is getting huge. Can cut down & plant shorter stems as many root shoots are there. That's what I've been having to do to keep it from growing out of my tank (24" high).

I took a cell phone FTS this morning (cleaned last night) and my blyxa kimberly is over 40-45 inch long !!!
I might take you up on that, these are easily halfway across my tank right now and starting to shade a lot of other plants. They would fit in much better in your giant tank. That's some impressive kimberly!

#85 · (Edited)
Here's some pics of the L. Aromatica I have for trade of the spirals. See those 22" monsters ? I trimmed about 6" off of them this week (Tues). I purchased them from a trim UDGags did a couple months back. They took about 3 weeks to take in my tank but then took off as you can see. I wish I could figure out how to get the L. repens red hybrid to take now...

I have about 15 or so that would do well in your tank as they are about 6-10" tall. There should be no algae on them either. There was some green beard / fuzz algae but I'm happy to say I found a cure ! I kill it with a full tank combo of Algaefix & Excel the other night.

Let me what you think would be a fair trade (how much L.Aromatica stems you want).

#90 ·
Take the time to plan it, save and invest before you start setting it up and I'm sure your tank will turn out awesome :proud: Thanks Sam!

looking good !...like the carpet...looks like Staurogyne sp. repens ? I want to start a glosso carpet / street and always thought some Staurogyne sp. repens lining it would look good too...
Thanks bud! It is S. repens049, quite a nice little plant and really makes the foreground pop. Go for it! A thick patch of glosso and stauro would look great in your foreground

#91 ·
Suppose I should update this a bit. The tank has changed a ton due to life.
Major change: no more co2/dry ferts. Between working full time and classes I just didnt have the time to keep up with everything.

Stocking changes: The DN rainbows and neon tetras found new homes. They were replaced with 2 Green Terrors (for me) and 2 Aulonacara that I am growing out for my girlfriend! The plecos, otos and aspidoras cats are all doing great. Wouldn't surprise me if the aspidoras' decided to breed if they were given their own breeding grounds.

Pictures in a bit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.