The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Hawaiian Red Shrimp always hiding
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Freyr
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
I have 25 in a 1.25 gallon tank and 60 in a five gallon. There are times when there is little activity and others times when many are swimming about. At one half inch a few more will not hurt. They are very active when being fed and I believe many videos are taken at that time. How often do you feed them? Do you have any snails? I think snails are useful. 10 MTS type snails would be fine. I also use the honeycomb rock in my 5 gallon. The more hiding places the more they seem to hide. My 1.25 is more open and active.
Thanks for the reply. I currently don't have any snails, tho I have been considering it due to algae. I do feed them homegrown spirulina algae every few weeks that I feed my cichlids. A few jump on it, but not all. I was wondering if the powdered form might cause more activity?

I'm thinking I may add another group, and if its still barren in the tank ill remove some rock. Does anyone have any recommendations for a source? The best I found through user Rob was some aquabid sellers for about 1.30 per shrimp, which was pretty good. But cheaper is better.

20 gal dirted community, 20 long Vietnamese mudskippers, 40 gal tanganyikan cichlids, 55 gal South American cichlids
3 gal opae ula shrimp cube, 8 gal Fluval Ebi

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome