The Planted Tank Forum banner

Price comparisons? DIY>V_S<BUYING AT STORE

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GraphicGr8s 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
i'll just ask this qquestion here... don't flame me please i'm newbie
I'd like to know if i can drill a hole in the top section of my tank for a DIY sump and if anyone has done this... i see alotta gibber jabber about getting it to silent but wouldnt it just be easier to make S shapes with flexible piping? but anyways

Please post or refer... Time, Price on mats or finished good, Dimensions arent so important ratios would be nice........ Basically whats most sexy ha the hobby has some extremests? that would be cool since nothing on this website WOW's me

Oh and this is a general themed thread not DIY SUMP only it was just the thing i was researching prior

#2 ·
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? Are you wanting to add a sump to your aquarium and want to drill a hole in the back glass near the top of the rim?

Drilling your aquarium may be possible as long as the glass is not tempered and you purchase the correct glass drill bit for the size of the plumbing/piping/bulkhead fitting that you want to use.

#6 ·
you can make a pvc overflow too
How to Build a DIY PVC Overflow - YouTube[/url]
do i have to drill a hole in the tank?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? Are you wanting to add a sump to your aquarium and want to drill a hole in the back glass near the top of the rim?

Drilling your aquarium may be possible as long as the glass is not tempered and you purchase the correct glass drill bit for the size of the plumbing/piping/bulkhead fitting that you want to use.
I was wondering about the price comparisons ex: Building a glass/acrylic tank or good substitutes like a see through plastic in a box/bucket shape, home made filters such as sumps, heaters lighting... i thought i could find a link to a thread specifying better than open airing it on this post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.