The Planted Tank Forum banner

what plant options for 5" of water in this tank?

888 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Aquarium_Alex 
#1 ·
I have a 90 gal tree frog tank with 5" of water, also has a soil portion for plants. It sits near a west window and has normal florescent lights on top that are not on during the day.
I would like to find some small under water plants, some that grow in/out of water and others that like soil that's always moist w high humidity.
A lot of the frogs waist falls into the water and I'm unable to vacuum the gravel the way I have it set up and I'm not using a filter. (Water changes only)
I would like plants that will help keep it clean and use the frogs waist to their advantage.
I currently have java moss and pothos in the water and a variety of other things in the soil.
I was thinking about duckweed or frogbit but only because I don't know what my options are.

#3 ·
Another one on the Anubias, beautiful plants all around, plus many different cultivars and varieties to choose from. They are also maintenance free and grow in almost any condition
I personally like the way water wisteria can grow out of the water when left to its own devices. Also, many different leaf shapes can appear in one stem.
Dwarf Sag can be a mini field of grassy bushes. Depending on the type, it can either grow to dwell on the water surface, or if you choose the "true" variety, it can stay underwater, creating an underwater grass field. They are very easy and takeover almost everything, not as bad as it sounds.
Numullaria aurea is another stem plant that is common in pet stores and can be left to grow above water, where its mint-like foliage can shine. It also produces a calming mint scent.

These are some of my pics, but the possibilities are endless, just stay away from the bulb plants, like Aponogeton, Nymphaea, Nuphar, Barclaya, and such, as they will require more space and not grow out of the water. Also, avoid Nymphoides, as they reach tremendous sizes, but are very common :)

#4 ·
Most of the plants we grow are bog plants that would love to grow out of the water. The pothos and moss you already have will. Try smaller crypts. Try pennywort, the smaller kinds especially. Try hairgrass and Staurogyne repens. Marsilea will too. Most of the stems will grow tall and flower for you, try any Ludwigia, Rotala or Hygrophilia. Any plant found at the big box pet store in gel packs or tubes will grow. Be careful of the tubes as some are only semi aquatic and won't do well underwater. Always research that the plant grows the height you want, those stem plants will get pretty tall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.