Painting Moss (Seeking Advice) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Painting Moss (Seeking Advice)

Hey guys,

I am currently working on a 7 gallon nano. I am giving the dry start method a go, and so far it has been working fairly well. I have a nice carpet of monte carlo and cuba. But now I want to build a manzanita driftwood tree with some moss. My first attempt I made a foam canopy and super glued some pieces to it. After 1 month, i'm not really happy with it, and have decided I want to grow the moss on the actual wood. I would like to try the blended moss / painting technique and am looking for some suggestions / tips. First of all I did this when I was a kid on concrete walls of my school, and we would use butter milk and elmers glue in the mixture. Now obviously i'm not very interested in sticking elmer's glue in my tank, but what about butter milk? Does someone else have a better technique?

Cheers

60 G HighTech Custom Wall Tank (Planted)
55 G Low Tech Discus Tank (Planted)
40 G Low Tech Community Tank (Planted)
7 G Low Tech Nano Tank (Planted)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've done what you want to do, without the buttermilk. I'm pretty sure that in a high humidity and warm environment that buttermilk is going to go sour pretty fast, and start growing all kinds of gross things besides moss.

If you are already doing a dry start, the humidity in the tank is going to be high enough to keep the moss moist and alive and give it time to attach. Cut up the moss in fine bits with a good knife and rub it on to the wood with fingers. I used a bullet with some water and had moss EVERYWHERE, then tried to paint it on with a brush and it just sticks to the brush.

Keep the humidity up, and have a spray bottle handy to mist the wood so it doesn't dry out. Worked pretty well, couple weeks like this and it should be attached.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A lot of people use yogurt instead of buttermilk. Supposedly, yogurt with live cultures will prevent mold from growing.

The mixture should be mostly moss. Just a little water and very, very little yogurt. I cut up the moss, then use a stick blender.

I've heard you can use Excel instead of yogurt to prevent mold, but I have not tried that myself. A lot of people use just moss and water.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Use only water. Keep humidity as close to 100% as possible. Mist as needed. Fertilize every other day/few days with very dilute fertilizer solution or tank water. Excel may kill your moss, but a diluted solution may work to kill algae/mold if it starts to develop.

— T a m y —
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks guys, I'm going to just try it with just water, moss and a very small amount of sodium polyacrylate to give it a little texture to hold it on the thin branches.

60 G HighTech Custom Wall Tank (Planted)
55 G Low Tech Discus Tank (Planted)
40 G Low Tech Community Tank (Planted)
7 G Low Tech Nano Tank (Planted)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode