The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ludwigia repens and baby tears

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  screamble 
#1 ·
So I have ludwigias in my tank. For the life of me I can not get it to grow well. Started with 5 stems 2 died. Other 3 just seem to be hanging around. From what I have read this plant should be going nuts in my tank. I have very high light (marineland aquatic plant led) , dose pps-pro every day, add flourish iron every other day and have pressurized co2. Any ideas?

Also, my baby tears Seem to be growing up not running runners and staying low. Any ideas here too?

Pic of tank.

My cabomba purple and green Is going absolutely nuts on the other hand, so I have to be doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Two things come to mind looking at your tank. Although you are running a drop checker which is good you are also wasting a lot of gas using an Aqua Clear hang on back filter. Regardless on what others say it does deplete much CO2.
I have been growing repens now for 2 years. I have thrown away many nice healthy Ludwigia cuttings that were crazy red and healthy. However , recently I noticed my laterite has been depleted from my Flourite substrate. Since then my repens and Bocopa have been struggling a little. Repens more than Bocopa. I know 100% that if I add more laterite back into the substrate it will grow well again.
For now I have added some DIY root tabs into the substrate and have noticed a quick positive response to getting them back again. But the response is not like fresh laterite. Adding Fe to the water column seems to be healthy for most plants but some seem to prefer substrate uptake. I believe Ludwigia is one species that likes uptake more from the substrate.
Emersed culture should not be a huge problem since I have started a few species that were emersed cultures of plants in submerged tanks as long as CO2 was high.Thats why I also mentioned depleting your CO2 with hang on back filters.
From my experience I have noted it seems to grow best in GH's between (4-8) , but that does not mean it can't be grown lower or higher.
Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info, Unfortunately I can't get rid of the aqua clear. This tank is built into the bottom of my 55gal cichlid tank stand. I would not prefer drilling holes in it to add a canister. I do notice I have a rather high co2 bubble count for the 20 Gallon long.

On the substrate it is Eco Complete and may be 8months old now. So I do add a ton of root tabs basically for the crypts and the sword. Crypts thrive in this tank, struggle with the sword even tho I have root tabs all around it. which is directly in front of the repens. So i'm almost positive there is enough for the repens and sword.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.