Where do you buy your plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Where do you buy your plants?

New to the hobby, hi everyone! I've finally got my planted 38g running however I'm extremely short on plants at the start. Unfortunately the only LFS within an hour is PetSmart, so I'm looking online to purchase some plants and really get started.

Basically, I'm clueless on how to go about this. I've seen tons of variation in prices, shipping methods, availability, etc. on numerous sites. I'm curious if there's a site that's popular with the community here that would be recommended. For what it's worth, I'm looking at Ludwigia repens, hygrophila polysperma (though this may be illegal?), water sprite (although I keep seeing this listed as water wisteria, which I think is different?), amazon frogbit and maybe some amazon swords.

So yeah. I'm a bit lost on where to get started. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Planted Tanker

The for sale forum here is a great place. You can find just about anything at cheap prices from actual hobbyists. Just scan the latest threads or use the search function for what you want.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Algae Grower

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I bought all of my plants from this site OR my local fish store. My LFS only really carried amazon swords and a few anubias nana. So, basically, I got all my plants in the forsale section of this forum. A great place to go.

Quote or Mention me in a comment and I'll be sure to reply!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I've always gotten mine from here. if no one is selling what you want then put up a thread in the wtb/raok subforum.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My first ever batch of plants arrives today, i ordered it here. SOOO overpriced at my LFS. 9 dollars for a tiny crypt. 19 for 10 starogyne stems.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you need a lot of plants it is best to buy on line in bulk or from members of forum, APC forum. Buying on line you can get more variation. Buying from member you get more for your buck.

Last edited by Hilde; 10-10-2015 at 03:13 AM. Reason: added
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

buy from people here - look at the for sale section

75 Gallon High Tech
29 Gallon Low Tech (RCS / cory tank)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Definitely buy from members on here. LFS and big chain stores like Petco and Petsmart are expensive in comparison and have "common" plants, while members on here have much more variety and great deals at that.

Only thing to watch out for is if your set up is up to par (no pun intended haha) with some of the more demanding plants (some require high light, co2, additional ferts, etc). But still there are plenty of low demanding, beginner friendly plants here.

There are other sites (HANaquatics, bamaplants, the one smackey listed above) that are nice to order from, but still the members here usually have better deals. The sites might have more species available so you can order from one source though. But I've saved a ton of money getting plants through members here so I highly recommend here.

Mention your tank dimensions, lighting, substrate. Planning on fertilizers or co2? How do you envision the tank to look?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

I have to agree about buying here. I've bought from a few members and so far each and every one of them has been a straight shooter.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also agree that buying in the forums here is your best bet. You'll get exactly what you're looking for and a lot of the times the seller sends extras as a bonus. The plants are always healthy and full.

FYI, get yourself a PayPal account because it's the most-used payment system here.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Really appreciate the feedback everybody. I'll be sure to buy and sell on here in the future.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

I buy all my plants from members on here.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Buying here is a good option. And I've done that several times It's also a good idea to support your local LFS if there is one around with healthy stock and a reasonable price. I expect to pay a little more there,a there is a lot more overhead to a brick and mortar store front. Most plants aren't a very big dollar item anyway and you make up for some on shipping. Plus you get to see the actual item you're buying. I've driven 2 hours to Sacramento to purchase plants. Folks that buy strictly on line or from overseas shouldn't be surprised when there LFS goes out of business!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Folks that buy strictly on line or from overseas shouldn't be surprised when there LFS goes out of business!
Occasionally I find plants at Pet Supermarket and Petco. Petsmart has some which grown in gel. Overall not many plants at LFS in my area. When I drove home from Florida I stopped by a place which sold plants on line.

Buying over sees I found can be illegal and buyer would be fined.

Last edited by Hilde; 10-10-2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: added

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode