The Planted Tank Forum banner

still no luck with stem plants

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  BBradbury 
#1 ·
I have been in this hobby for a while, and still have not had any luck with stem plants. they seem to do well at first and then after a while they start looking skinny, and the leaves start growing farther apart. i want them to be lush i have c02 i am dosing micros and macros everyday I'm doing frequent water changes and nothing. some advice is nice

#2 ·
Dirt your tank man! It's the only way!

But in all seriousness, no seriously dirt your tank.

Are you letting them grow really tall? Once mine get 15-20 inches I'll cut them down and replant them. This will cause the old stem to sprout new growth, and the new stem to keep doing it's thing. I've only ever had a problem with die off due to cause i'm unaware of, but other then that, I don't see why you're stem plants aren't doing well.

#7 ·
Yes light can be an issue judging by the spindly growth report - there could be other issues also - we know too little about your tank and if you need help seriously, you must let us know as much as you can. Start with the tank specs - size, dimensions, filter, lights, temperature, substrate, fishes, plants, lighted hours, water-change routines, fertiliser dosage and routines, CO2/Excel routines and rates, and last if not least, how regular you are with your routines.

Don't worry if the post is long - more details you give better help will you receive.

#11 ·
I'm using Estemative Index fertilizing, and I have Sunset Hygro. The Hygro is somewhat leggy, but it also uses a lot of Potassium - more than other plants. You seee pinholes in tthe leaves.

I think the light deficiency opinion is valid. I also think that the ferts are very important. See what you can do.

#12 ·
Stem Plants

Hello super...

Saw your post and thought I add some things I do for stems. My favs are Anacharis (Elodea densa) and Hornwort. These don't require added commercial ferts or a CO2 system. They'll grow in low to moderate light conditions just floated close to the light source. I use shop lighting and typically a couple of 6500K, T8 bulbs. Floaters don't need high end lighting of any kind.

These plants will grow in water with just the dissolved wastes the fish produce. I feed the fish daily with flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods. The minerals are provided through large, weekly water changes of at least 50 to 60 percent removed and replaced every week.

Keeping fish and plants healthy is all about the water. If you maintain pure water conditions all the time, the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

Pretty simple.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.