The Planted Tank Forum banner

Java Moss help needed

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  lauraleellbp 
#1 ·
I decided to plant my 10 gallon with java moss about 2 weeks ago. I have 3 different peices of wood and slate rock that it is growing off of and is now attached to "no strings attached"... anyways, i was wondering if it is possible to have too much light. The light i have on it is very bright to the point where i've used tinfoil underneth it to dim it down for the fish. My moss has what appears to be dead or brown leaves and is sprouting non-dark green growth. I don't have C02 but i do fert w/ flourish. Most of it is green but i don't think it is completely heathly. I did the tinfoil thing again and i'll see what happens to it. It also has a couple small java ferns mixed into it and i want those to grow as well. The tank will be beautiful if it works out. I have 6 neons and a pearl gourami plus a breeding box filled with 9 baby guppies floating at the top. I'll add a picture soon. Ideas?

BTW, i added some moss i stole from my goldfish tank and added that to the 10 gal. but it turned pale around the edges. Is this from the temp of the smaller trop tank or something else?

thanks

#3 ·
When you attach moss to wood or stone and place it in the tank, It takes about 2-3 weeks to settle in and start growing. A 14w cfl is more than enough light for java moss to grow in your tank. during the first two weeks some of it may turn brown, dont worry it will grow back. just make sure the temperature is less than 30 degree centigrade.

#7 ·
75F is probably too low for your fish. Gouramis need warmer temps for sure.

I suspect too much lighting instead of warmer temps being the issue. Or maybe it's just my tanks; but I've never had problems keeping any mosses and my tanks are usually 78-82F depending on the season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.