The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ammania something or other

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Tinanti 
#1 ·

I've always thought this was pratermisa, it's from a LFS and I've had it for years, was labeled as red nesaea.

Then again idk, I'm just daily confident it's an ammania species but not sure which one.

See less See more
#4 ·
Those two are significantly larger I think, I had a gracillis which had a stem as thick as my little finger. Praetermissa has reddish stem even when the leaves are not red; and the leaves can get much redder than gracilis; blood red/rotala macrandra red. It also doesn't do as well in the aquarium as gracillis/crassicaulis.

#5 ·
With that pic, its hard to say atm. Once they get big enough, maybe itl be easier to tell apart. AG grows up to be monsters, but if kept very cramped and with little light, they will grow thin and leggy like in the pic.

#6 ·
Well, I've had this plant between two different setups for a year or two now so I'd think it'd have gotten bigger by now if it was going to.

Both setups were high tech, last setup it had some
Algae issues on lower leafs but was always a small plant, branches out more than it grew up.

#8 ·
Man I always like your tanks lol

Yah, it's not my first choice for red plants but I've had it and it grows for me so I'm not complaining. Plus it works well enough as a foreground in my 10 gallon.

I should try the others one day though, for my 75.

#10 ·
I thought nesaea got reclassified into ammania though, so wouldn't Nesaea crassicaulis=Ammania crassicaulis?

Also, gracillis looks nice, whats the growth rate like?

#11 ·
I bought the nesea as nesea red. I dunno if its a hybrid or what.

The ammannia grows really fast, like weed like fast. Its also forgiving in high tech setups. Ive had them under shade and neglected them and they still grew. Under low light they get greener and smaller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.