Fissidens splachnobryoides?? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I created this experiment to test if a moss grows best immersed or submerged by taking a 2" bead container and squares of long soaked cork board. I use the cap and cork to float an immersed platform, and the deeper container and cork for a submerged environment without having to tie it down. because it floats I can give it tons of light and keep fish from bothering it, while small shrimp can and do climb in and clean up. I moar it with a bit of fishing wire and then suction cup the wire on the glass. I have to remember to release the suction cup whenever I do a major water change. Hopefully if I leave this totally undisturbed for a Month, I will finally confirm if splachnobryoides moss is truly immersed, and AQMagic is full of #$@%

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Algae Grower

I did a similar test, the Fissidens splachnobryoides did die submersed (two different tanks, low-tech and high-tech). Fissidens splachnobryoides did die emersed with a lot of direct water contact (like spypets emersed test)and it does shows some spare signs of green with a rather dry location in the emersed setup. I would identity Fissidens splachnobryoides as NOT aquatic.

Cheers,
Jens

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens View Post
I did a similar test, Fissidens splachnobryoides did die emersed with a lot of direct water contact (like spypets emersed test) and it does shows some spare signs of green with a rather dry location in the emersed setup.
Interesting. I wish you had posted this a Month ago and save me a lot of trouble
how would you suggest I design my immersed platform to be dry enough to grow f.splach
yet wet or humid enough as to not dry the moss out under all that light?

did the dryer areas of your immersed test grow any better under high or low light?

could you please take the time to post photos of your results, or email them to me?

in response to your post, I made a third sample dish that has no standing water in it.

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
how would you suggest I design my immersed platform to be dry enough to grow f.splach
yet wet or humid enough as to not dry the moss out under all that light?
I have a 2.5G on the window sill using natural sun. A Glad plastic box will do as well for a simple emersed test. Mist every day but don't let it get wet. Keep it on the dry side.

Cheers,
Jens

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been away for awhile and am glad to see the progress or lack there of for this moss. Keep up the great testing.
I have also determined that the plant which aquamagic sent me as Fissidens splachnobryoides is star moss (submersed) it is growing slowly for now but you know it will die sooner or later, Very frustrating.
I should get today from a source in California, Fissidens sp nobilis. Will have to figure out how to tie it. All pics look like this grows upward.
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

the immersed portion of this moss is recovering while the submerged stuff is dormant. I think this moss is the same "cement moss" used by bonsia tree hobbyist who make lawns of tiny grass in their tree displays. I have 2 of these 2" floating disks with recovering immersed Splach. My plan is to post another photo in a Month showing it's maturing growth on both disks. Then I will Submerged one of them, and immerse the third disk that's been submerged all this time, to prove that this moss will only thrive immersed even after it's been established, clearly contradicting the way it's been deceptively marketed as submerged on ebaY. depite Jen's advice, I abandoned the dry disk sample as it was too much trouble to keep moist every day during the dry winter months. so I now have 2 floating samples and 1 underwater sample.

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

a dry disk sample would work fine if you had a lid to cover it to keep the humidity high. Throw that sucker in the sun and you would have emmersed growth in no time
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's been a Month since my Splach moss demonstration began, and in case there is still any lingering doubt about it's submerge/immerse growth character, these pictures don't lie. on the left and right are samples grown floating above the water, and the center portion was partially submerged. you can clearly see the upper submerged half is still a dead lump of brown plant mass, while the lower bit poking above the water is struggling to grow green. for scale that is 1/2" clear plastic mesh under those 2" plastic dishes.

my next demonstration cycle will be to move these samples to a higher light tank for a few week, then to take one of these two established green growth samples and completely submerge it, to see how long it will take to ruin the moss from green back to brown, or if by some miracle it actually survives underwater once it's been established above the water line. I'm also going to move these samples under a higher light fixture, to see how that effects them.

now I'm confused... if my above shots are true Splach moss,
see: http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5213/minif2ks8.jpg
then what immersed moss did AQMagic send me the first time?
it was definitely not zipper moss, which is larger and spiky.

I just moved my demonstration disks to a higher light tank

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

just like mythbusters, maybe online aquatic plant vendor busters!
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the update!
I am not sure what AQm sends out I will take pics of mine soon. Mine was started when you got zipper. Its been submersed and has gone thru the brown stage and now back to showing green stage. I am wondering in maybe there are other spores along with the moss we ordered and that is what is growing back. I don't think I care as long as it grows.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow those emmersed leaves definitely differ from the submersed pic AQ magic posts. leads me to believe that your plant is a completely different plant than the submersed one in AQ magic's photos

Last edited by jazzlvr123; 11-27-2007 at 08:38 AM.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
jrs
Planted Tank Obsessed

Was that tiny sample that I sent you zipper moss than?
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

jazz, I could not make much sense out of your post, sorry.

my first emmersed photo does match what AQMagic's
shows submerged on ebaY but the second one appears
to be cement moss that is often used immersed in Bonsai
tree displays. why he sent it by accident is anyone's guess.
it's just tragic that does not survive submerged or it would
have been a crazy popular moss for this hobby since it forms
such a nice uniform short hair carpet on it's growing surface.

jrs, yes you definitely sent me Zipper and something else
that is thus far thriving both immersed and submerged that
appears to be very similar to Plagiomnium affine.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Spy,

You've done a very nice experiment. The moss is most likely a non aquatic fissidens as I believe you believe by now... Cement moss was much different, and that is not this.

My guess is that he just pulled it up from a lot somewhere and sold it to stupid americans And the guy who sold you the moss is known for sketchy plants so yeah.

On a side note, how is that willow moss doing for you. It is not a normal moss and very interesting and hard to grow (IMO)

-Andrew
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb View Post
how is that willow moss doing for you. It is not a normal moss and very interesting and hard to grow (IMO)
now he tells me...
I H2O2 treated your Willow and killed it.
it's as H2O2 sensitive as Subwassertang.
however, like a centimeter of it survived,
so I will use that to repopulate my tank.
Don't send me any more of your moss;

we'are not worthy!

top left is your now mostly dead willow
bottom left is your narrow frond stringy.
top and bottom right is your spiky moss
I doubt the stringy moss wants to grow
like this, but the spiky should fill in great
after another two Months. Willow may be
too large frond for these rope projects,
but I still want to play with it somehow.
once the moss thickens more, I will post
a mature shot on my moss rope thread
so you can then beam with pride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode