I'm starting this thread so that I can track/document the growth of using simple clippings/trimmings of utricularia graminifolia (commonly referred to as UG). I'm curious to see how well it works, and how long it takes. I'd love to hear from anybody else who has tried doing this.
I've know it's possible to grow the clippings emmersed, but I didn't find really good info on it, other than people saying it works. The clipped leaves can grow roots from either end of the blade, so I should just be able to spread it over the substrate and let it grow, so that's exactly what I'm trying.
Container: Pyrex Glass Dish, 9" x 11"
Light: 27W Power Compact, 4.5" from the substrate (I measured 150 PAR at substrate)
Photoperiod: Currently set to 12 hours per day
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (new)
Lid: Saran Wrap with several holes poked in it
Here is where I started one week ago. This is a weekly trimming of UG from my tank
. I simply mowed it down and did not uproot my existing carpet. For this experiment I spread it evenly over the aquasoil. I also poked it a bit to break up clumps and to make sure it was in good contact with the substrate.
I took this picture today, after precisely 1 week. I looks like it's definitely doing well. One thing that's more apparent in person vs. the picture is the tips of the leaves are all turned up toward the light. No signs of mold or algae (whew). I open it up once per day, mist heavily with tap water, make sure it breathes, and close it back up. Nothing special.
As you can see, it's already starting to grow roots, so it's looking good:
I hope this keeps going well. I'll update as it progresses.