The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hydrocotyle tripartita not growing in high tech set up ?

20K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  amazahir 
#1 ·
Well now explain this. I cannot get Hydrocotyle tripartita to grow carpet or even anything at all and I dose EI, have high light, and pressurized CO2. Other things like rotala rotundifolia do not do too well either while things like Blyxa aubertii "Kimberley", water sprite, and amazon swords I have to trim weekly (if not more frequent). My L. Atlantis & L. Aromatica took a long time to acclimate but is doing well now. I have the the Hydrocotyle where it's not shadowed my taller plants and I've even tried in shadowed. I've also tried in the substrate, floating, and even tied to taller stem plants and Nothing works!

Tank parameters:
pH = 6.3-6.5 (well water is 7.0 & tank was 7.5-7.8 before CO2 injection began) dH =4 or about 72ppm as CaCO3 GH =71ppm as CaCO3 and same as 4dH KH = 5-7ppm Phosphorus = ~7-8ppm after one week Nitrates = ~40ppm after one week avg temp = 75-80°F
CO2 = I experimented last night. My tank pH stabilized at 7.2 w/o CO2. I have my pH controller set to 6.3 and it's calibrated every couple weeks & is never off by more than 0.1 units. In my tank I've seen mortalities at pH 6.1-6.2 but never seen fish grasping for air. So, I think my CO2 is max'd out.
Ph/KH Chart (I know it's unreliable) = way high in CO2 but most folks on this forum say max out CO2 based on inhabitants response so there you go.
Drop checker (I know it's unreliable) = Always yellow. I clean it out and add fresh 4dKH soln & indicator every week or so.

Lighting:
Maybe I have way too much light (I'm awaiting BuildmyLED.com PAR analysis). (4) 30" BuildmyLED.com planted tank LED strips & (2) of their Nano strips all on for 7-8 hrs daily

substrate:
Eco-Complete & Flourite 3-4" deep laterite here & there w/ CariSea Instant Aquarium gravel (Peace River) w/ some river pebbles on top in certain areas w/ aquafertz trace & iron root pellets

So what does this issue look like...It'll be tomorrow or Sunday before I can get pics and uploaded. Basically looks similar to crypt melt. The bright vibrant green dissipates and turns brown, the leaves fall off then there's only one maybe two leaves per stem/pod, then the stem/pod begins to turn dark and melt. Once in a while a very tiny new leaf will show up for a while then never grows.

Maybe I have an inhabitant that likes to eat it and I just never seen them doing such ?

I started this post on another thread of someone else having growing issues for a different plant and decided to move it here on it's own.

See less See more
#7 ·
In my experience, Hydrocotyle tripartita tends to melt when uprooted and replanted often for re-scaping (although for some odd reason this does not seem to be an issue when planting newly-pruned cuttings). It's best to leave it alone, and within couple of weeks the melted nodes will regrow with new offshoots. It also does not like strong currents.

#8 ·
I had a bunch of Hydrocotyle tripartite that was doing great. I trimmed it really closely and it just wouldn't grow back. My LFS guy here in Japan asked what my pH was, and I said it was 7.5. He gave me some pH-lowering solution and told me to keep it in below 7. Said this like it was the most obvious thing in the world for plant growth, though I know most here would disagree.

After my pH went down to about 6.5, immediately the Hydrocotyle tripartite started growing back. Go figure.

#10 ·
Have you been messing with it? I just put in two very sparse clippings (less than 2") 10 days ago and it had tripled in size. Low tech with Metricide dosing. I would think the constant physical compacting many do to keep it low may affect growth and since I have very little, I'm letting mine grow.

#11 ·
I forgot to mention on this thread but I caught the culprit red handed (or mouthed). It was my dwarf gourami the whole time !!! I caught him munching the leaves off a couple times. Well he sadly died a couple weeks ago (looked like he either got sick or was just old).

If anyone has some Hydrocotyle tripartita they'd like to donate for me to try again I'd love to try again and see. I've got some nice java moss cover rock that it would look beautiful mixed in.

#15 ·
I bought Hydrocotyle tripartita (SP Japan) with lush green leaves and stems. Planted them well in my 1 meter aquarium. Stopped the filter for 1 day to make them settle in the substrate.
Added Seachem Flourish Excel as an CO2 alternative.

Within two days, all my leaves either wilted or broke from the stems. It is giving a deserted look. Now only hair line roots are remaining in the tank.

Will they regrow? What was my mistake?

My other pot plants are ok.

I have Albinos, Tetra, Guppy, Platy, Danios fishes.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.