I am on business in Washington State. I was walking down a path and found a old decorative barrel and it was just full of what looked like christmas moss, fully submerged. I want to harvest a bunch of it for my tank. Can anyone give me advice or links to how to properly prepare the moss so that it doesn't bring harmful bugs or parasites into my tank and doesn't hurt the moss either?
Yeah, just dip it in a hydrogen peroxide solution for a couple seconds, then rinse it with water. That should do it. But yeah post pics! I'm curious as to what it is, I've never seen anything like that and I live in Washington too.
1) make a solution of 1:21 (bleach:water)
2) make another solution with 3x the recommended amout of chlorine remover
3) dip plants into solution 1 for 25 seconds
4) rinse plants under running water ( i normally do this in the bath due to space and the shower head makes it easier)
5) put them into solution 2.
6) while leaving plants in sloution 2 empty soloution 1 (with the bleach in) and rinse bucket well, add water with 3x the chlorine remover (same as solution 2)
7) rinse under the tap/hose again and place into solution 6
8 ) place into tank and admire your plants
It looks dead in the pic. Christmas moss are green.
I would still try it out, mosses can die then come back to life months later.
I have some moss that I found in the wild and the bleach dip didn't kill the bugs. I had to manually remove them. I think the way I finally got rid of them was to change the water everyday with untreated tap water and they slowly died off. The last few got eaten by my killer betta.