The Planted Tank Forum banner

Best moss for wall

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 ·
Taking growth rate, price and other factors into account, what is the best moss to use for a wall? (Specifically a CRS tank) Here are some options and info about what I've heard.

Xmas moss - Readily available, does not attach well, medium growth rate
Taiwan moss - Attaches better, "slow" growth, more expensive
Java moss - IMO too unkempt and ugly
Fissidens - Very slow growing, *Looks extra cool
Weeping - I know nothing about it
Willow - ^
Peacock - ^

Please add suggestions, anything about personal experience, etc. Also, what kind would be best for ground cover tied to SS mesh?

Thanks

#2 ·
Taiwan grows quite fast when you give it the right conditions, and enough time to adapt. At first I thought so, but a month later, after I came back from vacation, my whole breeder net had moss fronds poking outside/ whole net was covered with moss. It looks the best imo. Peacock looks a lot like xmas/taiwan. For a wall, I'd say pick either Taiwan, Xmas, Peacock, or weeping. If I were to make one, I'd go Peacock, just because I don't have it. ;)

#4 ·
I was looking at H4n's moss list and saw a bunch of types I've never heard of... Anyone got pix?

Bali Moss
Green carpet moss
Mini Fissiden
Notocyphus lutescens (NL) Moss
Rose Moss
Mini Rose Moss
Singapore Moss

#7 ·
I don't know many mosses that would make great walls.

I do know that mini fiss would be beautiful. I also know that mini Xmas moss would be bushy and full on a wall. I've always wanted a wall but never gotten around to it.

I recommend H4N for all mosses. He's wonderful to deal with.

#10 ·
+1. Give it a shot. It is a slow grower but looks amazing when grown out. Either it likes and adapts to your water or it doesn't.

But if you tie mini Xmas to rocks you bury in the substrate, you'll enjoy how it carpets.

Tell H4N I sent ya haha.

#11 ·
I'm thinking green carpet for foreground. Would mini Fiss and/or Xmas be good for ground cover as well?

Does Xmas attach to stuff readily?

Is mini Fiss the same thing as Fissidens Fontanus but smaller?

I have a lot of questions. :biggrin:

#13 ·
Mini fiss is splachnobryoides, but just looks that way. I think those actually both look very nice as carpets, especially the mini fiss. I only grow my Xmas free floating in a jar, but it probably attaches readily. I kinda assumed that green blanket and green carpet were the same, as I contacted h4n a while back and he described it as being the same. :hihi: ask more questions, I love moss! Just ask h4n...

#14 ·
I asked H4n for some pix but he said he was too busy. :(
I thought mini Fiss was Fontanus just a lot smaller? Still rather confuzzled. I do know I will be using Flame for a background. Still unsure about wall and ground.

#20 ·
Try growing it out, then just transplant it. I don't think it grows great off of mesh, but it may be because I never have seen it elsewhere.

Xmas wouldn't look bad as a wall and carpet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.